Options

Leaky boat

2»

Comments

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    My favorite marine yard, Marsh Harbor Marine did the work and reported.  The difference I see besides no more water in the boat is the outline of gaskets around the connector housings.  Prior to this fix, there was no visual evidence of gaskets.

Tony
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicely done Tony! MT
  • Options
    lesles Member Posts: 24
    I have a 270 that has a leak on the bottom of stairs to galley and on starboard side in galley. I have been spraying water on starboard side outside of galley against rails and side of boat. I see water beside window in front of bathroom but cannot figure out where it would be coming from. Any suggestions.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check your shower sump. The float/pumps go bad or might be filled with yuck.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    lesles Member Posts: 24
    The boat is currently out of the water. I have had shower sump checked . I have done a few outside water tests with hose and when it rains heavy is when water comes along side starboard hull somewhere. The starboard side cushion gets wet and galley floor bottom of the stairs. I re sealed window and rail screws on that side and still leaking.
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a serious rain test all right!. 7" of rain in Tampa in 3hrs. Frogs were drowning. I got 4" of rain at our gauge in a few hours myself. If it didn't leak in that deluge then you certainly found your problem. I'll be checking our outlet gaskets today, thanks to your successful sleuthing.

Thanks Tony and safe cruising. MnK
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Not mine.  I can't find where it is coming from but mine is a fresh water leak somewhere.  I hear it dripping forward of the engine room but can't find or access it.  Maddening.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    So far, knock on fiberglass, my bilge stays dry. There was a lot of water accumulating in it until I traced that to a leaking sea strainer for the generator. Multiple trys to fix it failed then it was replaced. Dry bilge now. Of course there will be some water accumulation under normal use as a number of appliances have over run hoses etc that do drain into the biulge. But, in my opinion, unless there has been a vicious rain a big day on the water with the swim platform being swamped by kids, dogs, pesky relatives and tubing pulls there should never a lot of water getting into the bilge. After a wild day on the water I always took the shop vac to the bilge and they (on all of my boats - including the 360) remained dry. As an old salt told me - salt water preserves, fresh water rots - keep all water but particularly fresh water out of your bilge. BTW we know gelcoat can not keep water from getting into the fiberglass from below the water line - so why would we expect it to keep water out of the fiberglass from inside the boat? Just asking. MT