Options

400 ec, need a good orientation

I recently purchased a 2008 400. Spent the first day cleaning it up a bit after a 1.5 hour cruise to the slip. So far love it! However I must say tons of switches and lots more than I want a trial and error approach to figuring out. Where can I obtain manuals on what all the switches and lines do and are, as well as where all sea strainers are located. (With two air conditioners and the gen set I don't want to miss anything) Taking the week off to spend time on the NJ shore and have plenty of time this week to poke around but would love to have some usable manuals or direction. Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014

With some effort ( a fair bit) you can probably get all of the information you want on this forum, instead I'd hire a tech familiar with the EC 400 for an hour or two. You could spend an hour at the slip going over everything and if that was enough call it a day or have him take you out for another half hour or so and do a technical sea trial. My friend did that and his wife "filmed" it with her cell phone. She made sure she didn't film the tech for his privacy reasons but pointed the camera at everything he was talking about. There was audio so they could review it all at home as many times as they liked. I believe it cost $150 and my friend said it was the best money he had ever spent on a boat. The tech also gave him some cool docking tips using the throttles.  Just a thought. MT

• Options
    danielpage01danielpage01 Member Posts: 7
    That sounds like great idea. How do I locate a 400 ec guru and ninja to give me an hour of their time?
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a few 390-410 owners on here you could bribe I bet if they are near you :)

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have a Rinker dealer near you. If so go hrough the dealer and pay for the tech's time - or - have a "private" conversation with a tech who knows the EC 400 and arrange for him to do it on his day off. However, BD sure makes a great point! MT

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    well, stone harbor may be close and they are a rinker dealer that may be able to help. I could probably write a book on all the things with the boat. But, first, welcome to the site and we love our 400. Just got back from being on it for the last 3 days straight. As far as strainers, you have two in engine room, one for genny and one for raw water pump (if you have it). Under the floor access in the salon, there is one more that goes to a pump and then splitter to the two A/C units. The head uses water from fresh water tank. As far as switches, I don't believe it would anything just doing trial and error to see what turns on. Just a bit tough to go on and on about what they all are on here. If you have any particular questions, just ask. I've been in every nook and cranny and am a big do it yourselfer. The funnest to locate is the shower sump, which is in the closet in the aft cabin, under the bottom (have to remove a few screws).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    danielpage01danielpage01 Member Posts: 7
    Thank you Dream_Inn ! Heading to the boat today for the rest of the week and weekend. I will most definitely post questions. Thanks again!