Options

Leaking Canvass

HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
Well not actually the canvass and not really the zippers but where the zippers are attached to the boat. Any clues on how to stop this?
"Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it leaking from the track (the u channel on the arch)?  Or through the fabric that has the zipper on it?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I think the U channel on the arch.
  • Options
    But could be the fabric where the zipper is attached. I know it is not the actual canvass.
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    On top of bimini the canvas should have a flap with a pull code to tighten down the flap over the zipper. Check to be sure the flap is covering zipper. If so, then its the track. You may need to pull the track clean old caulking and reset with 5400.

Had to do that to mine several years back.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    For leaking seams and zippers, I've had good luck with Starbrite spray waterproofing treatment. If it's the channel, you can try running a bead of sealer (temporary at best), but you might need to remove and reseal as Life's Good mentioned.  
  • Options

Thanks for the tips. I will see what I can do next weekend.

• Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    Waterproofing doesn't always stop seams from leaking. I use tent seam sealer to do the job. Just Google it.
  • Options

I really believe it is leaking from the U channel on the arch. Capt Ron suggests a tent seam sealer. I googled it. Lots of different kinds. Would you suggest a spray on application or a tube application?

Thanks.

• Options

Tube.  Apply where needed. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tube, fills the needle holes from manufacture which widen over time. MT
  • Options
    tkrfxrtkrfxr Member Posts: 55 ✭✭

I used this when I replaced the zippers...from Sailrite.com

http://www.sailrite.com/Iosso-Seam-Sealer-4oz

"All things are ready if our minds be so"
    -W.Shakespeare/Henry V Rinker 2005 342FV T5.7OSXi-DF/OceanX(DPS-B)
  • Options
    tkrfxrtkrfxr Member Posts: 55 ✭✭

The U-channel can have leaks in the seal which may need to be re-selaed...for this job I used outdoor silicone...I found two spots where the sealant had disappeared, and needed touch-up....the leaks are gone...

"All things are ready if our minds be so"
    -W.Shakespeare/Henry V Rinker 2005 342FV T5.7OSXi-DF/OceanX(DPS-B)
  • Options
    ThellThell Member Posts: 37 ✭✭

Do you have to take the U-channel off or do you add sealant on top of the U-channel and arc?

• Options
    edited July 2014

Don't take off the u channel, just caulk the seam. [edit]  Pulling the channel off is a pita and you can pull the arch paint off too, been there.  Let alone the trouble of getting the screws out and back in again as the holes can strip out easy.  I had to redrill several.  just clean the joint on the arch/uchannel well to remove any wax and caulk.

Post edited by Black_Diamond on

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    ThellThell Member Posts: 37 ✭✭

Ok, Thank you. :-)