ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER HELP

RussRussRussRuss Member Posts: 28
May be a dumb question, but ......

I have a 2005 270 FV with a rebuilt 6.2 repower block from Mercruiser.  Original was a 5.7.  In looking for parts, I am having trouble with what SN to use. The number on the rebuilt block is 92500971.  I can not read the number on the sticker on top of the motor - it is either worn off or was scraped off when the new block went in.  Original owner told me everything bolted right on and the only change is the 6.2 and a reprogramming of the computer for the bigger displacement.  None of the paperwork with the boat has a SN.  Any advice on what SN I should use to looks for parts?  A guess next step is to contact Rinker and see if they will give me the original SN?

Comments

• 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't get too caught up in the s/n thing... you have a small block, and you'll be looking for small block parts and pieces.. the nature of a small block is that parts from one will translate to the other unless you go with something that has impact on displacement- such as cranks (stroke), or pistons (diameter)... the small blocks, similar to the big blocks, are modular in that regard..

a computer flash will most often suffice, but it is dependent on the weight of the injectors.. you can only squeeze so much fuel through them, and if you go too large in displacement, you'll have to implement larger injectors to accommodate it.. most injectors are rated @ 80% duty cycle, meaning, there is a 20% buffer above their rated output... you haven't grown 20% in displacement to overcome that buffer, so you're likely good- but be aware, that 20% is there for a reason, and you'd be better off either with slightly larger injectors or bumping up the fuel pressure to make the difference.. bumping the fuel pressure works, is cheaper and much easier, but- injectors are designed to work in a certain pressure range, and their 'spray' characteristics change at differing pressures.. jumping pressure may change your injection from a spray (what you want) to a stream, which doesn't help for combustion purposes (atomization of fuel allows better fuming and ignition- liquid gas doesn't burn as easily).

at any rate- my advice is to not make it any more complicated than you should- s/n isn't as important as simply knowing you have a 6.2L small block.
  • Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    You need to locate the Mercury Emission Control Information sticker on the engine. It will have the serial number, engine family, Family emission Limit, Date of Manufacture and Piston Displacement. If you cannot locate this sticker go to Mercury Marine in your area and they can help you sort out the serial number issue. Rinker can only tell you what they installed, not was changed. Mercury can be contacted at 405- 743-6566. They are located in Stillwater OK 74075.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ your 5.7 was sent in for a rebuild and you now have a 6.2.? Did I read that right? If so, you now have what is termed a 6.2 or 377 . If that's correct your 350 has been "stroked" to produce a 377. If that was done correctly and I have had it done, it is a completely different engine from the "regular" 350 c u" 5.7 liter motor. Merc should ber able to help you with anything you need.MT
    hold up, now... I'm assuming from his post that he literally rebuilt a 5.7, swapped all components over to the rebuilt block, and now has a 6.2... it could be (and sounds like it is from his post) the precise same engine and components as the 5.7, but with a new crank- allowing it a longer stroke- whallah, more displacement..

some of the other things shouldn't be a concern as far as purchasing replacement parts- the deck height could have been altered, the heads re-worked with larger valves, ect.... they have no bearing on accessory items such as exhaust manifolds/risers, or engine water circulation pump... air box.. throttle body... all those directly translate... the build changing from 5.7 to 6.2 can be done with precisely the same parts and pieces with the exception of the crank, and possibly machining the block with a notch for the additional angle the journals require- but I don't think that is even needed to 377... to 383, yes..

all you have to adjust is the fuel trim.  it sounds like this is precisely what he's done, and if so- he need not worry about s/n's or specific to 6.2- ALL of it translates except for teh fuel management, which is handled by the PCM. (and/or bumping injectors, as I stated in my first response)
  • RussRussRussRuss Member Posts: 28
    Thanks to all for the quick replies. And yes, the previous owner blew up the original 5.7 and put in the 6.2 block/crank/pistons and had it reprogrammed.

I still need to chase down a good SN to use.  Most sites seem to need it to get to the right page for the right parts.  As suggested, I will go my local marina first and see what they say.

Now if I can just get my intermittent suspected fuel problem figured out...but that is a potential new thread if I don't figure it out in the next few days! 

Thanks guys!
    I've no doubt whatsoever that you're going to have fuel issues until you make certain the computer is working with good information, and has the expected parts in place..

I'll be looking for that thread!

• RussRussRussRuss Member Posts: 28
    Kudos to Rinker!!!!! - I sent an email per the recommendation above and within just a few minutes I had a reply with all my original SNs!!!!  I also called Mercruiser, and they were also helpful and offered to help me search for parts but could not get me a SN I could use to search for parts on other sites.