Options

Neutral cutoff switch.

rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
All. I just can't seem to find the answer to this question anywhere. Please help! How do I get to the neutral cutoff switch? Last year I had trouble with it. Even worse this year had to wiggle the throttle like crazy to finally find the right spot for it to start. Took the little plastic chrome cover off thinking that it would be staring me in the face but all that is under that cover is a grey gear box looking thing. I looked all over the web and can't seem to find the answer. I really want to get

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

Comments

• Options
    Oops hit post by accident. Was saying that I really want to get this fixed this year before it completely gives out

• Options
    Bouncing this back to the top.  Somebody has to have replaced these safety switches before.  I looked all over last night and cannot seem to find any good diagrams of where they actually are, or even a part number for that fact.  I have found diagrams for the 4500 dual remote control, which appears to be what I have, but it does not seem to show the safety switches.

Al, you there, I know you must have done this before.  Really could use some insight from somebody who has done this.

Thanks everyone.

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe mine is at the shift linkage on the engine where the shift and throttle linkages are side by side but I can't seem to find a good pic of mine. There may well be one in the main throttle/shift handle at the helm too.

Good luck, Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    FYI, I FINALLY found a diagram that shows this switch inside of the grey box thing that is under the chrome cover.  I guess I have to start tearing into it.  I was hoping this would be easy to do, but it sure doesn't seem too easy now.  I don't know if that unit will lift out of where it is with the cables attached, or if I am going to have to detach all my cables from the engine or what????  I would still love to hear from someone that might have actually had to do this, just to make sure that I go about it in the most effective way.  Or even if anyone has any experience changing the cables from the engine to the controller, if they could let me know what I am up against, I sure would appreciate it.

I had to look at a diagram that said "MODULAR COMPONENTS (4500 MODELS)".  That makes a whole lot of sense!!

Thanks.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Edit/delete see next post
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options

STOP the presses. I just had a revelation, dejavu and an epiphany at the same time. This happened to me. Those (censored word) trim relays are the same one used as a remote starter solinoid up by the intake manifold and all three of mine (2 on trim motor AND the starter relay) ALL failed within 90 days of each other. Of course I changed them one at a time, unlike what I'd recommend for you. Betcha a shot of Alabama shine that it's a fix for both issues.

My intermittent start would finally hit if I moved the throttle back and forth hitting the key until it'd light. Sure that it was the neutral sw, in reality it was just arcing across a fouled relay contact until it'd finally get a good enough contact to start. Eventually the relay/solinoid just stopped and nothing worked until somebody here mentioned the $8 relay that is luckily NOT on the starter but up where you can get it so easily that you'll lol with joy. They all looked something like this but I'd pull it and take it with you.

Good luck, Mike

• Options
    Mike. I cannot believe it. I would have bet that it was the neutral switch. I threw my spare solenoid on and I cannot replicate the problem now. Thank you so much for your help with this. You saved me from a wild goose chase