Options

Trim up and down switch

rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
I'm having a problem with my trim up and down switch. Sometimes it is not raising both drives. Sometimes it does. Trailer switches work fine so I think it is the switch. Can someone tell me how that switch is replaced? Or do you have to replace the whole shift arm somehow? Thanks

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    The more likely culprits are the limit switch or position sender -- those things that look like hockey pucks on either side of the outdrive (near the gimbal ring).  Replacing them requires hauling the boat and taking the outdrive apart. 

Also -- on the outdrive trim pumps, check for loose wiring connections at the screw terminals.  
  • Options
    The trim sender and limit are working and adjusted properly.  I replaced them last year.  The drives work fine when operating individually with the trailer switch, if I press the handle button the right way it works both of them, but it is intermittent, so I am almost certain that it is the switch in the handle.  I found some diagrams and it appears that the handle comes apart to get at the switch, so I will check that out tonight and see if I can get it out and test it. 

I'll check the wiring at the pumps tonight too, never messed with them, so it sure won't hurt to make sure they are tight

Thank you

• Options
    BruceBruce Member Posts: 167 ✭✭
    For what it's worth, I had the same problem with mine and it was simply the trim relays located on the pump assy, cheap; and easy fix.
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    Thanks Bruce, that is good to know. 

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    I'll 2nd those trim senders/solenoids being the likely culprit and would add that if one is intermittent that you should just do them both while you have the assy in hand. One of mine failed and I replaced it only to have the 2nd one fail 2wks later. It's a good time to rinse out the trim motor oil tank too.

As a matter of fact the trim relays are the same one used for the remote starter solenoid up on the top of my 5.7 merc which also failed a few months later. Consistent engineering I guess. At $8 a piece I can't complain too loud. It's a really easy project so I'd say to just do them all rather than wait for the absolute max lifespan.

DUH and Holy crap  :-t  :-t  ..... that's your other problem with the intermittent start issue thread. Having just typed this it dawned on me that I was having the very same problem. Thought it was a neutral switch failing but it was that (censored word) remote starter relay up on the top of the intake manifold. The good news is that it's a super easy fix.

Sure hope that's your issue. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    well that is cool that they use the same solenoid.  Not often that they make things easy on us.  And I happen to have one of them as a spare, so i can try switching that out and see if it is my problem.  Will let you all know what I find out.

Thank you!!

• Options
    Updated your other thread but it's not coming to the top.

Got my fingers crossed that it's that easy. If you didn't have another relay or it quit on the water, you can easily jump the smaller contacts on that slave relay to do an emergency/test start. I carry a 12" piece of solid #12 wire that can serve in that role..... and others. Good luck, Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    Well the solenoid was my starting problem but I put two new solenoids on the trim pump and it still seems to intermittently not rise with the combined switch. Trailer switch still works fine. Guess I am going to have to try a new switch. Not going to worry about it for now can do that when it is on the water. Changing those solenoids on the pump is a real PIA. Spent about an hour all wrapped around the engine trying to get at them. I am going to tackle the other side tomorrow. Might as well do them all while I am at it. Thanks so much for your help

• Options
    Check the ground wire and both it's connectors to the trim housing too.

I just pulled the entire trim pump assy out of the boat and serviced it on the bench. If your pump assy frame is showing signs of corrosion it might be a great time to replace it with the SS frame found on Ebay and just transfer the parts over to the new frame.

Glad that starter issue dawned on me before you tore apart your helm controls for no reason. It's a relief when your starter issue is such an easy fix. Have a great season in 'Bama. Mike