Options

Tank water disappears quickly

Does anyone have an idea why the fresh water from the holding tank disappears so quickly? My '03 342 has a 51 gallon tank, but it only lasts my family of 3 less than a day when we're out on the hook. My former Bayliner had a 23 gallon tank and I can't recall ever running out of water. I don't hear or see the pressure pump running when the tap isn't open and the bilge isn't full of fresh water, so I don't know where it could be going.  Is it possible that the water is somehow leaking back into the engine heater hose and running back out somewhere?  And ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    If it were leaking 'under pressure' you would be hearing the pump kicking on.  You could flow water backwards if the heat exchanger was leaking from the engine heater, but again the pump would be on.  I suspect you might just be using more water than you think.  Kids running water, etc.  It goes down fast, trust me.

One other thought: check the pressure relief valve on the hot water heater, they do not last forever and you could be leaking into the engine bilge area and the bilge pump doing its job.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BruceBruce Member Posts: 167 ✭✭
    I'm with BD, if you were leaking at all, the pressure pump will come on. I had a slow dripping faucet one night and I could here the pump come on about every 30 minutes or so.
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    What about your toilet intake.  I know you can hook up toilets to draw from fresh water sources, though I would risk the back flow possibility.   
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    I agree. I know when we first bought our 342, we ran through water fairly quickly. The biggest culprit was taking showers. We still take them but we conserve the water now and we can go about two days until the tank is empty. Two days would be with just two showers. Go out Friday, wife and I take showers Sat morning, wait until we dock to shower on Sunday.
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When we put our 2013 EC 310 into the water last year with a full fresh water tank I thought the bilge pump was coming on too frequently. There was a loose fitting and the water was draining into the bilge. The tech doing the PDI went right into the engine bay and tightened the connection. MT
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best way to figure out if it's leaking through the engine is to fill up the tank, don't use any water, and run the boat for several hours. Go back and check level.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    Does the level in your holding tank rise faster than expected? If yes, maybe your fresh water is leaking into your holding tank through the toilet.

Fill the toilet bowl with water, and turn off the fresh water pump.  The bowl should hold water for several hours.  If it leaks out, clean the valve at the bottom of the bowl so you get a better seal.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Are you sure the tank is not leaking into the bilge and the bilge pump is not pumping it out. The fresh water is totally different from the engine water. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    ronpscottronpscott Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Thanks for all your comments. The toilet pulls water from the lake, so that's not the problem. And the fresh water pump isn't coming on, so I know the system isn't leaking. Maybe we're just using more water; as simple as that.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    If the tank is leaking that will not make the pump come on. Is there any water in the bilge? The tank could have a small leak and you might not even know it. Keep an eye on the bilge and make sure its dry. If not tank could have a leak.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    Put some food coloring in the tank then see if that color shows up in the bilge just like checking a leaking toilet at home.

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boomer - that's CSI worthy, brother!  You win this one! :-) MT