Options

Here's one for RY

Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
PC BYC, Holland, MI

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a 2wd... Launching in 4h would have saved him a few bruises...
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd agree with that, some better tires too.  Probably tougher to beef up the transfer case though, transmissions have lots of room to upgrade.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love a CDT, but the trans absolutely do blow.. they're all based off the old torqueflights, and use bands.. the best one made is a megaviper by patc, which are supposedly capable of handling 1200hp and 1800# of tq, but... That is with a well adjusted band and billet converter... If they slip, and they will slip at some point, the heat is unreal.. they will varnish the hard parts and eat the clutch material in seconds..

I've said it before.. I'd love to have a ford superduty body, a CDT, and an Allison gear box... As it is, I'm stuck with an international harvester 6.4 (last powerstroke made by IH), and a 5R111... It isn't as reliable as a CDT, and the gearbox isn't as strong as an Allison, but its a decent compromise..

I don't drag my rig, but those that do ALL tell me to launch in 4h or suffer massive loss of traction.. I have traction control on that thing, and when I get on it hard and break free on the back, it makes me crazy nervous when that traction control locks the front axle.. it bangs in.. its not like I plan when I'm diving into it, and I know beyond doubt one day, when I do pop it, something is going to break in violent fashion.. :-(