Options

342 Breaker Panel

ME207ME207 Member Posts: 10
Hello all --- I have a 2002 342 FV that is new to me, and I'm attempting to understand the systems on this boat.  On the Electrical Panel in the cabin it appears that I can't have both the shore power and the Air Conditioner breakers on at the same time.  There's a guide that forces one off if the other breaker is turned on.  Logic says to me that this is there for those who are using a slip with only a 30amp service.  I use a 50 amp service.  Is there another reason this "protection" is on the panel, or am I safe in removing it so I may have both the shore power breaker and the air conditioner breaker on.  ..... on second thought ... reversing the polarity on the Air conditioner when using shore power is what is intended?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

Comments

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    ME207,  You should have two shore power connectors on you boat.  One is for the general power to all the boat's systems and the other would be for the air conditioner.  There is likely a set of these on the stern and a second set of them on the cabin wall on the port side of the boat forward of the two port holes.

I do not know when Rinker made the second set of connectors available.  I think this feature is called "Shore Choice."

On the power panel, there should be two sets of breakers.  A set for the general power to the boat and a set for the AC.  Each set should have the protective guide.  Do not remove the guides.

If I understand correctly that you have a 50 service on the dock, West Marine among other sources has a splitter that will plug into the 50 amp dock service and is equipped with two pig tails to feed your 30 amp boat connectors.

Hope I am correct that the 2002 model is the same in these respects as the 2006.  Also hope I made sense out of this subject for you.

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342
  • Options
    ME207ME207 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks Tony --- I was misunderstanding the two sets of breakers - one for gen'l, and one for A/C.  The way you referenced the two sets cleared that up for me.  I had been looking at them as four individual breakers.  1 for Generator, 1 for Shore Power, 1 For A/C and 1 for Reverse Polarity (assumed to be aligned with the A/C).  I now understand the label(s) for Reverse Polarity simply belong to the red light that I hope to never see on.

Thanks for the clarity.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,458 admin
    On my 2002 342 the main breakers with the "guide" on them are for shore power to genny power. You should have 2 shore power connections on the port side of the boat to hook up to. One is for the general use and the other is for A/C. Hope this helps and keep us informed if you need more help. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Marinco Y connector that attaches to a single 30 amp cord for the shore power pedestal. On the boat the Y plugs into both the general and A/C circuits. This does NOT raise the amperage available to me - I still receive 30 amps - but it does mean that I do not have to switch the cord from one connection on the boat to another. It also means that I do not have to run two 30 amp cords or one 50 amp cord. Where I boat there is a hefty power surcharge for either two 30 amp shore bpower pedestal or one 50 amp shore power pedestal connection. I do have to remember to not exceed 30 amps draw but have never had a problem. MT