Options

Spot for a grill on the 270

So, of course along with boating goes grilling... but I'm having a hard time finding a good spot for my rectangle magma propane grill on my 270.. any ideas? if you have pictures, that would be great.

Comments

• Options
    HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    Not sure how much space you have on your swim platform but I installed a pole with mount at the corner away from the entry door. Best add we ever did. Mount it on the swim platform on a pole.
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought a new rectangular Magna knock-off at the miami boat show with a rail mount and placed it on the port side at the transom on our 270. Easy to remove/stow and out of the way when I'm grillin'. Greasy burgers and such would be messy on the deck but that's not in my meal plan anymore. Shrimp/fish/vegies and the occasional gator tail all meet our lean cuisine at the stern without adding to mine.

I'll post a few pics next time we get out on the boat.
    Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    RussRussRussRuss Member Posts: 28
    I have the same boat and am going through the same decision with a round Magma propane grill.  Where did you connect?  I was thinking the rail along the back of the transom, but how do you keep the drippings from hitting the swim platform?  Or is that really an issue?  Does anyone know of an alternative to the $$$ mount from Magma

Pics would be great.

Thanks!
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    edited April 2014
    I've seen a lot of rail mounts get to much on them and everything falls in the water I believe if I ever decided to have one it would be the rod holder mount link below.
    Well it's not letting me post a link West marine has all kinds just Google magna grill mounts

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Boomer hit that one right!  With my old round one I had a couple drops of the whole meal I'd like to not remember.  I currently have the rectangular one mounted same as Ham mentioned, opposite corner from door opening.  Absolutely great!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    Picture of Mount

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    If I ever decide to mount a grill on my 276 I'd put the mount under the hinged ladder cover. Seems like the perfect solution, as if there was any grease splash it'd be as far away from vinyl as possible, and you can stand right in front of it. I wouldnt trust the rod or rail mounts in any kind of boat wake or wave action.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Here's a pedestal mount I'd seen in action (pic). I liked it a lot and the brauts were awesome but when it came up for us I decided that I had another option and didn't really want to add the deck plate, nor have it mounted in the way of the swim ladder and also have to stow the pole. Our same sized grill securely rail mounts just above the spray hose lid right at the transom.

Rest assured that I'll report back on any shish-kabobs or doggies that fly off my new rail mount bbq. That'd be a traumatic experience for any grill master. Spilled beer is a whole other unacceptable issue....

Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    PairADicePairADice Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    I don't have an extended swim platform YET. Nor rod holders, but I guess I could put a rod holder in.. its just a weird layout for a grill. unless I get the swim platform/ pedestal idea (which i like very much).
  • Options
    terrypageterrypage Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
    Hey what a fab idea I will try to find something similar here in the UK. That is just the job Terry
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have two easy places for it.  One is on the bow rail, very good for when you're cooking off a dock. The Magma Rail Mount Quick releases (available for separate purchase, I got mine at West Marine) mean I can take it off in about 20 seconds. No grease on the boat with this option, it's level, and it is at the perfect height for cooking, no smoke in the deck or cabin area. This is normally where I stow it when I'm underway, unless I plan to cook while on the water. Even in big waves, it never gets wet, as I've placed it as far back on the rail as possible, close to the windshield. Does not get in the way of visibility. 

Boat Gril Deck photo BoatGrillFront_zps7e76048b.jpg

If I plan to cook on the water, then I put it onto one of my scotty rod holders, which I've mounted on the gunwale. Magma makes a scotty rod holder attachment. Pretty easy, but depending on wind, smoke can get inside the boat. As you can see in this photo the underside of the magma has both the quick releases for the rail mount and the scotty rod holder. I positioned the rod holder mount so that it does not get in the way of the rail. It all is very easy to switch back and forth. 

Boat Grill Transom photo BoatGrillBack_zps2d93163c.jpg

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    PairADicePairADice Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    That seems like a GREAT idea, I'm going to look into those mounts. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pic there Tiki- that is also my exact boat and that is exactly where I am going to put mine...I had mine mounted on my run a bout Tahoe just like that too and it worked out very well. I would not, however, put it by the swim platform as one picture showed as if your swimming while cooking out, not a good mix. There is plenty of room on the platform. My only problem I'm trying to work out is the mount. I have the grille and the pedestal mount, however the base for the mount in on my old boat and I could not bring myself to yank that off for the new owner as the holes would be pretty hard to fix where they are at. He has not picked the boat up yet but is paid for. My son in law has a small flats boat company here locally and I'll get him to look at it. You can't just buy that part you have to buy a whole new pedestal pole and mount which is a 1/10 of a boat buck...I'll figure out something else before I do that!

• Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    Here's how I use my grill on my 08 320 - I have the Magma 17" round grill and I use the Magma rail mount which works out really well. I also bought ~ 10 feet of 1/8" stainless steel cable with ferrules and made tethers for all of the Magma components. I tie the tethers off onto the Bimini top supports if I'm in choppy water so if I drop something, it won't go far. Calm water I don't usually use the tethers. If I'm cooking greasy stuff like burgers, etc. I just wet an old rag and place it under the grill and hang it down the side of the boat to catch any drips. These pics were taken 2 seasons ago and shish-ka-bobs were on the menu :-) 
    I removed the grill top knob and place a round stainless tray (Magma calls it Marine fish and veggie grill tray) that is held in place by a wing nut and use it to keep corn / potatoes warm while the main course is cooking. This works really well for us.

• Options
    A really ingenious use of that grill tray. Gotta remember that one.
  • Options

Have you guys seen that Kevlar cooking sheet.  It was sold at the Toronto boat show.

Basically it is a solid sheet that goes right on the grill, and you cook directly on top of it.

There's no more grease to worry about after this, obviously it is stated as being non-toxic.

It is really easy to clean, kind of like a Teflon coated pan.  After your done, it rolls up and can

be stowed away just about anywhere. It was $20 for 2 sheets.  Lasts multitude of applications.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Hi Mark, Just curious can it be use over open flame BBQ. If so what is the name of the product. Thank Paul
  • Options
    I think so. He was selling them to just about anyone that wanted to cook with a barbecue. It's called BBQ Grill Mat. Not sure if they are on the web.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Thanks I will check it out
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    That's the one. ^^^