Options

Question about Anchors...

TheSaltTheSalt Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
Took the boat out for the first time this last Sunday.  Windy day at the lake.  I got my old trusty fluke anchor out to hold us in place as we lounged about.  Tons of fun!  
My question is...  My 266 FV has a bow roller.  What type or anchor do you guys put in this?  What weight?  My fluke anchor wouldn't fit in the bow roller...  Maybe I was doing something wrong but it wouldn't fit in there very well.  I suppose you guys use something classier like a claw/bruce?

Thanks.

Matt  
~ 1998 266 Fiesta Vee 7.4 B3 ~ Salt Lake City, Utah ~

Comments

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Most boats I see with bow rollers/windlass use a Delta anchor (or similar style).

A pic of your roller would help the experts here give a suggestion.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    edited April 2014
    What type of bottom -- sand, silt, rocks?

I can only comment on the Potomac River, which is soft mud and sand.  A 22-lb Delta with 30' of chain plus 200' of rope has held me fast with a 50-ton raft-up in moderate winds.  Might be overkill for your boat, but you should err on the side of overkill.  

(edit -- 22 pound)
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Take a look at the Manson Supreme.

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342
  • Options
    Mostly sand/silt.
    let me see if I can figure out the pic thing.
    LaRea said:
    What type of bottom -- sand, silt, rocks?

• Options
    edited April 2014
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014

Hey Salt, welcome aboard. West Marine did a great anchor test on numerous anchors back in 2006. It's a good read (especially the Sail Magazine pdf). Here's the link.

((ANCHOR TEST LINK))

I use a Rocna 10kg w 30' of chain on our FV270. Actually it stayed with me when I sold our last boat because I just couldn't part with it. When it's out with anything over a 5-to-1 scope it's nearly impossible to drag even under challenging conditions in our sandy seabed. If it gets beyond challenging I'll go to 6 or 7-to-1 and in a wind that high the canvas will shred off before the anchor gives up...... by then the Admiral is ready to mutiny but the boat is still a safe refuge (if being stuck in a cage with a mad honey badger is a safe refuge).

Good luck in your choice. Mike
    Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    TikiHut2 said:

Hey Salt, welcome aboard. West Marine did a great anchor test on numerous anchors back in 2006. It's a good read (especially the Sail Magazine pdf). Here's the link.

((ANCHOR TEST LINK))
    Nice!!!  Super helpful Mike! 
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I found what seems like a decent deal here locally in Salt Lake... just need chain and rope next.

$200 for both of these 22 lb anchors.  Both plow anchors.  One is a stainless Anchorlift Pro anchor and the other is a galvanized Delta "fast set" anchor...   They look good in the back of my 240 Volvo... Now, just to try them out!  

Thanks for the heads up!!!

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Ooooooh that SS one is pretty, probably wont want to bury it in the mud!
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    You got both of those for $200?  That is a screaming good deal.  
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You just killed me. I spent $900.00 for my Delta 22lb SS anchor. The SS buffs right up if you scratch it and it does draw the looks around the docks. Remember, it's all about making those sea ray owners cry! :-) MT
  • Options
    Michael T said:
    You just killed me. I spent $900.00 for my Delta 22lb SS anchor. The SS buffs right up if you scratch it and it does draw the looks around the docks. Remember, it's all about making those sea ray owners cry! :-) MT
    Totally.    :-bd  I've got to get a lock for it now!  Thats the first thing that gets taken when you're not looking.