Options

Troublesome speedo

My Rinker has a VDO display that I had rebuilt so I know that the display gauges all work but the speedo doesn't work.  It is all electric so there isn't a conventional speedo tube so I'm not real sure how this works or where I should begin to look anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It either works off a pick-up tube / wheel or gps. I don't think there are other methods? What drive do you have?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    hedge74hedge74 Member Posts: 14
    Its a alpha bravo drive 

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the speed pick up is in the lower unit, facing forward: it is a small hole and there is also a tube that attaches up towards the boot, if it comes off or gets plugged you will get nothing.  A small drill bit can open up the hole if it is plugged.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    hedge74hedge74 Member Posts: 14
    Is it possible that the tube runs to the engine somewhere?  There is no place for the tube to connect to the display unless im missing something.
  • Options
    midwestemidweste Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    I had the same issue but replaced my OEM Teleflex speedo with a Perfect Pass Precision Star GPS speedo and I love it. No GPS puck to mount, just three wires to hook up and it works great. Also has a clock, max speed log, and can display Lat/Long GPS coordinates. 

The pickup for the speedo is on the front of the lower unit tucked in. 

2000 180 Bowrider, 135hp 3.0L Merc, 2.00 Alpha One Gen 2 OD, 14.5 x 19P prop

Regular weekender, trailer stored indoors, Southern Ohio