Options

A/C duct work

So, I was thinking about replacing the duct work in my 99 270. Just nervous about the mold that may grow in the ducts. My question is how the heck do I take those stairs out and replace the ducts? They feel loose enough that they would come out, but can't figure out where the screws are...

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UV light will kill any mold, and is hella easier than ripping and replacing duct work.... Just a thought.
  • Options
    PairADicePairADice Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Im not familiar with that method.. 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DA is right on. There is a UV  hvac product  called Swordfish that is amazing. We used to install them for free in every house we built or renovated. That particular unit is a 110v appliance (light). As the air circulates in the ductwork - the unit is placed in the plenum - the UV kills any meaningful bacteria. Using one while at the marina or on the generator would soon kill anything harmful. I don't know of any 12v products but it would be cool to google the concept. MT 
  • Options
    The oracle google can do it more justice than i can, but basically, you tap into the plenum (as MT said) with a hole about 1/2" in diameter, and insert a bulb- it is a small diameter cylindrical thing, and turn it on.. within a very short period of time (less than an hour) there will be no 'living' mold...

don't look at the bulb whilst it's operational.. it will burn your eyes.
  • Options
    it will rid the entire duct work of living mold.. I've seen it work multiple times, and it's not just centric to what areas have direct lightning... i don't know precisely how it works in nooks and crannies, but it does.
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    On a 99 270 the duct is a very short piece plastic duct like flexible dryer hose take a phillips screwdriver the screws are inbeded in the carpet seems like a dozen or so magnet won't work they are stainless

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    I've used one of those too... and an ozonator as well.... the UV in air handling works for the entire circuit.. I don't know how, I've seen it work, though... It cleaned out the ducts in my home in no time flat- even in the flex ducts at the far end near the register.  the crap grew there unknown to me until I turned the system on for the first time that summer and smelled it.. less than a day and it was out of there, and never to be seen again (so long as the light stays on).
  • Options
    The way it works is that all the air in the duct work must either enter the HVAC systen through a return air or fresh air source it is then heated/cooled and sent back out. A properly sized UV appliance will kill most if not all biologics in a normal household as the air from the houes (unless you have "dead spots") must circulate through your hvac system. I like the idea of one for a boat - what better place for mildew/mold to get a foothold? MT 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014

Interesting topic. Just remember UV kills most plastics, installed in an AL housing might just work for the boat.

Edit: Just looked at the Swordfish system, wondering how I could mount one on the intake side of the A/C unit.  Also wondering if it can take the abuse of being in a boat? 

Post edited by Black_Diamond on

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Told a friend about our discussion. He purchased a unit called the Breathe Easy Portable Air Purifier from Dometic. Specifically for marine use but will work anywhere. 110v and 12v. Comes with world wide adapters. Uses a super strong UV light that creates no ozone and a photocatalytic nanomesh structure that works in tandem with the UV light. It is meant for confined marine use and eliminates 96% of odors and vocs in a 500 square foot area. He says it is the best boating accessory he has ever purchased. It won an international award in 2009 for effectiveness. I'm going to get one and I'll issue a report for all. MT