It was 80 degrees this past weekend...

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
And I was not boating! @#@# even worse, my boat was and still is on the hard. On Easter, we were on our way home from enjoying a nice 4 day boat trip and then, well, I think it was something we hit. Looks like I'll be replacing the bravo drive. A couple teeth were missing in the upper gear and a good nick in the prop as well as whatever made the metallic stuff in the drive. I'm optimistic though that we'll be back in the water pretty quick!... gotta say, I got a lot of stuff done on the lawn and the entire boat waxed (Even if it was already clean).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Check out these guys, 2-year warranty:

www.allamericandriveservice.com

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happened? Did your drive get damaged or something?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Yes, there was a tooth missing from one gear and it looked like maybe a little on another.  & with those pieces getting inside and chewed on a bit, no telling for sure what else was stressed.  The cost for a new one is not much different than the repair.  I'm hoping for a quick turn around, not this weekend, but maybe be back on the water the following weekend.

• TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't suppose that'd be covered by an insurance claim?? That's a pretty pricey day on the water.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
    Tiki, I'm hoping it is.  I've contacted them and they are coming later this week to inspect.  I just don't want to go with something refurbished or redo what's there.  There is a lot of weight that these drives are pushing & I want to make sure it is done right.

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DI, I agree with you 100%. Your 8.1 B lll drive package is working to plane and cruise your boat. Yesterday, I could hear my 8.2 B lll X drives working to plane our new 360 and it weighs about 2 tons less than your 400. So, if possible I'd want a new drive for the sake of reliability. MT
    MT, I have B2s, but yes they do work hard.  I actually asked about switching to B3s, but more knowledgable people than I said it didn't make sense.  I'm happy with performance, but wondered about efficiency.  Hard to think too much about efficiency & fuel burn when you are pushing so much weight.  It's a small cost when looking at the overall picture.

• JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    From what I've read B2's are a VERY strong drive, so I wonder if going to a B3 would be a step backwards in strength. Plus, dont B3's have an issue with corrosion that the B2's dont typically have, especially in salt water?
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
    edited April 2014
    Joe, in DIs case, IF he wanted counter-rotating drives, he would get the Blll X drives that are a whole lot tougher than straight B llls and would work fine on his EC 400. When even Blll X Drives aren't tough enough there are the real torque and HP handlers, the B lll XRs for HP up to 500. That said, DIs B lls are real strong beasts. I have Axius so I have to use Blll X drives with it. The B lll X comes standard with the 8.2 Mags. As for corrosion of B llls, I've never had a hint of a problem problem, but I always wax my drives everey time they are on land (not the annodes, of course) and I have always had a galvanic isolater on the boats I've had Bllls on. :-) MT
    Following MT's comments above...not to hijack the thread, but adding a high quality galvanic isolator is smart if your boat sits in the water.

PC BYC, Holland, MI

Yep, you are correct MT and those XRs aren't cheap either!

Joe, you are also correct that the B2s are a very strong drive.  I'm actually very shocked that a tooth broke off.  I'll say it was very interesting looking at all the components inside the drive.  Definitely very large drive shafts as well at gears!  The corrosion you are thinking about is correct for the earlier years in late 90s, maybe first year or two in this century as well.  But at that time it definitely was a problem.

edited April 2014
    DI  - I might be inclined to speak with the Merc rep or Merc main office about their "goodwill" fund, even if your drive is way, way out of warranty. Merc are pretty stand-up guys and 60 seconds of talking with you would show them that you knew your stuff. When I think about it those B -2s are meant to take huge loads. You treat your boats with respect and know what you are doing - I think Merc might step-up with something - even if it was just the parts? MT

Here are a couple pics I thought maybe some would find interesting...

You can see the spalling on the gear teeth on the left picture, far left gear.  Classic material / lubrication fatigue failure.  The chipped tooth ends are more interesting though, you should not be getting loading on that part of the tooth, bearing wear, high loading or improper bearing float on those tapered roller bearings can all do this.

The guy who rebuilt my drives and did some upgrades too calls the Mercury oil 'blue death'.  I'm running a Neo-Synthetic oil from him now, might be worth a call to him.  George @ www.allamericandriveservice.com

PC BYC, Holland, MI

RY, I'm definitely looking to go new.  Insurance surveyor was meeting today with my mechanic & had asked about rebuilt drives.  I'll see what happens but I'm not about to rebuilt drives (I depend and push on them with the big A$$ heavy boat too much). 

BD, I will definitely ask about a different oil.  I'd be curious too if it is something I could switch the other drive over to as well. (not mix, but empty and switch in the fall).

DI: Take a look at the drives guy link, they offer a 2 year warranty.  He redid both my drives 3 years ago and he does modifications too for heavy-duty/high HP.  Worth a call.  I did not want just an off the shelf rebuilt unit either, and BIII's are hard to find for that anyway.  Your B2 should be easier..and cheaper!

I'm going to get oil analysis done on my drives next week, Had the Neo-Synthitic oil in for 2 full seasons.  Be an interesting eval..in a good way..I hope.

PC BYC, Holland, MI

RY, the drives draw raw water that is then used to cool your engine/exhaust.

I guess what are you trying to do or figure out?