Options

4 bladed prop

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone out there with a 2001 242 with a 5.7 using a 4 bladed prop? I'm currently using a 3 blade and was wondering if it's worth getting a 4 for a quicker hole shot to get over the hump. I understand that I can lose 1-4 Mph on the top end.
2008 330EC

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    I have used 3,4 and 5 (Mercury high 5) bladed props with 350 magnums. Yes going from a 3 to 4 you will get a better hole shot but lose some top end. Also, you need to keep an eye on your tach to ensure that your engine's w.o.t. still falls within the normal range....and 4 or 5 bladed props can alter a boat's handling characteristics quite a bit, therefore I'd recommend borrowing a prop from a friend first or finding a prop shop that will allow you to try different props. Some shops charge a flat rate to try a bunch of props and may even credit that charge to a purchase - of course you break it you buy it. MT
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    I had a 2000 maxum with the same power plant. Huge hole shot and never went back to the three blade! Had it as a spare only. You are correct. You will lose about 4 to 5 on the top end but who cares. Hole shot is everything!!!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of having a spare prop. If I went to a stainless 3 blade would I notice a difference over the aluminum?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    An ss prop will hold it's shape and therefore pitch 100 times better than an aluminum prop that could alter its pitch with load and speed. Tests have shown that at 45+ mph the pitch of an aluminum prop changes and often the blades themselves react differently robbing speed, handling and fuel economy. My personal opinion is that you might not see enough improved handling, speed or fuel economy with a stock 5.7 in a 242 to justify the expense of an ss prop.. As well, if you hit something hard with a ss prop you stand a very good chance of damaging your drive shaft. That said, as you go up the horse power ladder ss props not only deliver better handling, economy and speed but are essential to handle the loads. On engines that I have personally owned from 390 to 450 hp ss props were essential. In fact, my ss props were blueprinted and balanced. Another area of propeller performance is rake and cupping. As I said earlier -  I am a firm believer in trying different props, because even if another forum buddy has a 242 the same year and hp as your ride his engine could have a hp difference of +/- 5% power and your hulls could be +/- 5 effieciency. You might find a nice 23" pitch 3 blade ss that gives you a great hole shot AND top end while keeping your engine in the w.o.t. band. Try a few. That's my 2 cents :-) MT