Options

Cap and Rotor for 7.4 questions. New Guy

picturethispicturethis Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
Hey guys,  Im a new owner of a 00' 272 captiva , 7.4 bravo 3 with the thunderbolt ignition.    I noticed that the points under the cap are corroded pretty bad but the rotor looks good.

Can I use an automotive cap or marine only?   which cap do you guys run?   any part numbers would be great

thanks
russ
I am a new boater with my first boat,  thats why some of my questions seem dumb

Comments

• Options
    its a 7.4 Merc
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The smart move is to use marine parts.  With the year/serial number you should be able to get a mercury / quicksilver or interchange part number pretty easy.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think an automotive cap will fit the merc distributor.  I may be wrong, though.. I think you're kinda screwed to buy the marine dizzy cap no matter how you slice it.
  • Options
    with what I have read, its better to use an automotive cap with brass points (they dont corrode) rather then a marine which typically are aluminum

I dunno
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    A marine cap is designed to prevent spark-over. If you see it happen at night in wet conditions your cap will look like it lights up. If you use an automotive cap in a marine application and get a spark over more than the cap will light up - it'll be you and your boat too....and the insurance company will thank you as they won't have to pay. Marine application - marine parts - particularly where gasoline (special hoses and O rings) ignition parts (caps, wires cpaacitors) and electrical parts (tinned battery cables, plastic/composite electrical boxes , multi stranded 110v wiring). I know, really - I know from experience $$$$$$$  they seem to "see us coming" and charge more for marine parts but all of the ignition/electrical stuff is well worth the price. imo :-) MT
  • Options
     marine stuff it is

thanks for the replies guys
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Better be safe then sorry :-?
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    IMO I always buy marine parts over auto parts. There is a reason they are marine. I once used a auto starter and it did not last a year. Big PITA. Marine parts are the way to go....................
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Especially any electrical parts, auto parts are not 'ignition protected'. There are far too many stories of fires/explosions/deaths from this to ever take a chance.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI