Options

Anyone ever try making their own led lights?

rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
With our marina out of commission for a little while. I am thinking that I will have time for one more little project this year. Anyone ever attempt their own underwater lights? These lights are so expensive to buy but the components are quite cheap. So I have been looking around and finally found a place that sells a housing that looks like I can make waterproof. It even has half inch thread coming out the back so i am thinking I can turn it into some sort of drain plug light. I ordered just a plain white led that will put out close to 1000 lumens. So far have like 50 bucks into all the parts. I have some thinking to do about how to put this together and make it safe to use as a drain plug replacement If anyone has any input, ideas, experiences to share on this please feel free

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to be like an IP-68 rating, heat dissipation is a big deal on these too (LEDs). 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many watts does a 1k lum led pull? I used to compete 24 hour mt bike races and rode night with an hid and then led.. the brightest available at the time was a three cluster 3w which put out about 250~300 lum's.. I knew a 5w single led hit the market, and heard of a ten, but 1k lumens? Holy cow!!

If that rascal will be submerged, I can't imagine sinking it will be an issue, no?
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015

X

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MT, that's gotta be HID, no? They are impressive...
  • Options
    edited March 2015

X

• Options
    Here are some details of what I am getting Cree xpg2 3 up led star. With driver to run at 1000 ma. Narrow optic to focus the beam as it will disperse quickly in the water Housing will only hold the led and optic and it will act as a heat sink since it will always be underwater I think we should be ok as far as heat. We considered running at 700 ma but the guy I talked to said that he would take a chance and try it at 1000 since it will always be cooled by the water. 700 ma only gives me 762 lumens where 1000 ma gives me 1014 As far as water proofing my thoughts are to jb weld the optic in. Then use flow able silicone to fill the entire area between the optic and up to level with the led star. Then jb weld the back in which contacts the back of the led star. I'm open to suggestions here if anyone else has any ideas Then I need to safely connect it to my drain plug and get the wires through. I have a few ideas here but really need to see the parts in order to plan this out. Hopefully they will be here in a few days I will post pics of my progress.

• Options
    edited March 2015

X

• Options
    Here are some pics of what I have so far.  Man, this thing is bright.  Also much smaller than I thought, what a PIA trying to solder the connections on. I think I am just going to fill the whole thing with epoxy that I am using on my hard top.  That should keep it water proof.  What do you guys think?  I was hoping it would just screw right into my drain plug hole, but it doesn't seem to match up, so I am going to have to make some sort of adapter.  Will post pics of the finished product.

• Options
    edited March 2015

X

• Options
    BruceBruce Member Posts: 167 ✭✭
    The talent on this forum never ceases to impress me!  Great job 312 
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Looks good 312!  Don't forget when you put that adapter on that you will need some way to put a wrench on it to tighten it.  Epoxy should work, but I would use 4200 (or 5200) to fill in the inside of the adapter where the wires will go that threads into the hull.  Epoxy is great at being water resistant, but the 4200 will prevent the leaks. ;)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Here it is.  I wrapped some electrical tape around it to make sure that no epoxy oozed out, then I completely filled with epoxy, I don't think it is really possible for it to leak.  I have had it in a bucket of water for a few hours now, and it is still working.  Can't wait to see what this looks like on the lake. 

• Options
    Hey MT.  How did you put 8 LED's into that flashlight?  It seems that everywhere I look all I can find is a PCB that has 3 led's on it like the one that I used.  I'm just wondering because if this works out I plan to make some more to mount on my trim tabs, and I'd like to be able to do more than 3 LED's and really put out some light.  Thanks.

• Options
    edited March 2015

X

• Options
    Oh ok. I thought you put that together on your own. I bet that thing is awesome. I will post some pics when I finally get her in the water. I can't wait.

• Options
    Finally got some night pictures of my new LED light.  None while underway, but the one is off the back of the swim platform.  Considering that my drain plug is almost 3 feet under water and there is not much visibility in our lake, I think it is putting out a great glow.  Then check out the other picture, that is what it looks like when you look directly down through the middle drain hole in my swim platform.  As long as this thing holds up through the season, I will be figuring out how to mount a few more of these to my trim tabs.  Then we will really light some stuff up. 

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Looks great!!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    TheSaltTheSalt Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    Definitely not home made but this guy was next to us the other night at the lake and it looked awesome!!

~ 1998 266 Fiesta Vee 7.4 B3 ~ Salt Lake City, Utah ~
  • Options
    update for new additions this year. My led underwater drain plug worked out great last year and is still working so I figured it's time to add some more. These newer LEDs put out about 2200 lumen each I am mounting two on each trim tab. So total output this year will be almost 10000 lumen. Can't wait to get some pics in the water. 

• Options
    samp232samp232 Member Posts: 29
    Looks awesome! Love to put some on my boat! For the drain plug light, is it on a switch? And then just a quick disconect on the wiring or do u just let it hang while draining water then screw back in?
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Samp on my drain plug light the cable is molded into the epoxy of the light so it is water tight. I don't think there is a plug, it just hangs.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rinker 312, how are you going to mount those lights on the trim tabs.  Are they going on the fixed part of the tab, right up against the transom?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I am putting them all on the same switch that I am using for the drain plug one. I have disconnects on the drain plug wiring so that I can unscrew it and take it out. The new ones will mount to the top rear edge of the trim tab. So when underway the lights will be up or down depending on how you have the trim tabs set. But really they are more for use when on the hook swimming. Then they will all be aiming the same way.  Pulling the boat tomorrow. Maybe if lucky I can get some night pics this weekend.  

• Options
    DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    I may have to think about using your idea. The cost of these underwater LEDs is OUTRAGEOUS !!   to say the least.  The concept and materials are so inexpensive...the markup on them must be unreal.  Please post pics when you are done !!
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    My last boat had ground effect lights (plasma?) under the swim platform.  So they were more "at" the water than under.  Not quite the same as having underwater floods, but still looked cool.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you see fish attracted to the lights?
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Never noticed.  It was black light so they may not have cared.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may have to think about using your idea. The cost of these underwater LEDs is OUTRAGEOUS !!   to say the least.  The concept and materials are so inexpensive...the markup on them must be unreal.  Please post pics when you are done !!
    The price is thru the roof. I went with a little known brand called Coastal Night Lights. They cost less than the big boys, but they work great. I had the DS version on my 232cc and now on my 280EC. I put one on each side of the drive.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    thanks Greg...I'll check em out
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a pic of the lights on my boat.
    httpcdnvanillaforumscomrinkerboatsvanillaforumscomeditornwd1ynjatvuswqjpg

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!