VHF radio antenna mount on Captiva 276

Strother85Strother85 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
edited May 2014 in Rinker Sport Boat Forum
Anyone add, or have info on adding a fixed mount vhf radio to a captiva 276?  This was not a factory option on the 276 but it was on the 296.  I wonder if replacement 296 components would be compatible with 276? It would be nice if the antenna could fold down when not in use

I'd like a step up from a handheld vhf due to some planned trips to such places as les cheneaux, manitou, mackinaw, drummond. I would feel more comfortable with something with a little more range than a handheld. 

Thanks
Post edited by Strother85 on

Comments

• JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure it could be added (and wired in) like any other boat.

I wonder if you could mount it with some velcro or something in the tray under the helm and plug the power cord into the 12V accessory. You could install the antenna cable so it would plug in & out easily.

I dunno, just a thought. 
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Strother85Strother85 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Im not really worried about the actual radio, I can mount that anywhere it is more the antenna I am worried about.  If you look at photos of the 296 the antenna is mounted just below the windshield and folds down along the length of the window on the stern side I believe. Im wondering if that same mount would work on the 276
  • JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm also now strongly considering a fixed mount VHF. I didnt even have a hand held last year, but we are likely going to be crossing some larger waters so I also think the fixed mount range is better for this type of boating.

I was thinking what about somehow mounting the antenna to the middle bimini support? You could then wire the antenna through the same spot as the anchor light for a clean install. I dunno, do you think the bimini would interfere with the signal? We leave the bimini frame up all season so I wouldnt have to worry about taking it up & down.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Strother85Strother85 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    JoeStang said:
    I'm also now strongly considering a fixed mount VHF. I didnt even have a hand held last year, but we are likely going to be crossing some larger waters so I also think the fixed mount range is better for this type of boating.

I was thinking what about somehow mounting the antenna to the middle bimini support? You could then wire the antenna through the same spot as the anchor light for a clean install. I dunno, do you think the bimini would interfere with the signal? We leave the bimini frame up all season so I wouldnt have to worry about taking it up & down.

Thats a good thought, I store my boat in a garage with 14' doors and my arch is at 11' 8" so I would have to make it removable or foldable.  I'd really like to find out if the set up they have on the captiva 296 could be installed on our 276.  If you look at pictures of the 296 the antenna is folded down on the side of the boat just below the windshield.  I have been meaning to give rinker a call and ask but have not gotten around to it