Options

1994 Rinker 265 Fiesta Vee

Hi all:

This is my first time here.  I have been shopping for a boat in the 23 to 27 foot range.  I am going to look at a 1994 265 Fiesta Vee. It looks like a very nice boat but I know from experience that looks don't mean a thing.  I really dont know anything about Rinkers quality etc when compared to Sea Ray, Regal etc.  Are there any common problems with that model that I should be looking for.  I have already paid for 2 surveys on one Regal & one Sea Ray both ending badly.

Thanks

Bruce

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rinker boats are built tough. I have purchased 5 new and had very few (only very minor and common to all boats) problems.The hulls are very tough. As a rule, the fiberglass and gel coat are well laid-up and applied. A survey is a great idea and money well spent because even very knowledgable boaters can purchase a bad hull (osmosis water damage). If the boat looks clean and as if it has been maintained that is certainly a good sign. What is the power package Mercruiser or Volvo? How many hours are on the power package. My friend used to have one of these with a 5.7 liter 260 Hp Mercruiser. It rode very nice in chop. If my memory is correct the cabin and front berth are carpeted. What shape is the carpet in - does it show any signs of water leaks? Have you tried the head, does it work well? the stove? Have you inspected the water and waste tanks for signs of leaks? I think the "average" price for this boat should be in about the $15,000.00 range - is that about right? I hope one of the forum owners with a 265 jumps-in here. Welcome to the forum, if you proceed to the survey stage I hope it turns-out well! MT  
  • Options
    BruceBruce Member Posts: 167 ✭✭
    Bruce, 
     I have owned several smaller boats, Chaparral, Triton, Champion,  but our (new to us last year) 2004 250 Fv was the first cruiser we have purchased. We researched brands, quality, lay out and bang for the buck for over a year before we settled on a Rinker. Having never owned a Rinker, nor having any close friends with one, made me a little leary. But at the end of the day, no other manufacturer offered the same quality and amenities for the price. Now going into our second season will are still thrilled with our decision.
     Hope you find the right boat you.
         Bruce 
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod

Welcome to the forum!  & you've came to right place with some good questions.  The 265 was a very popular boat in its day & is now known still as a good reliable boat.  I knew a family real well that had a 1994 265 and went on it for 10-day trips and used that boat to its fullest capability.  To this day I still don't know how the 4 (sometimes 5) of them could anchor for 4 days/3 nights and still have water in the tank leftover.  They would run the engine to warm up the water (no generator) and just really enjoyed that boat!  (some of you may have remembered KaptNT from the other Rinker forum)

Anyhow, from what I remember of the boat, it was laid out nice and overall a decent boat.  I still see several around in my area as well. You are correct to say that you can't judge a boat just by its looks. You need to go thru the entire boat and make sure things are ok. I know the one thing that will turn me off of a boat is how easy it to access and maintain simple items like the seacocks, air conditioning, water tank, work in engine room, etc. Good luck and hopefully one of the 265 owners on here can chime in. Oh, and let us know either way how it turns out for you.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    I have that boat, just bought it last month. So far it seems to be a good boat. Engine wise I have the 454. As with all bravo cooling the impellor can be a bit challenging to change.. The bathroom is a bit small for a shower, The kitchenette is well a kitchenette. It does the job. All in ALL its a good boat. Full tank of gas and 1/2 tank water it does about 40mph on gps. It does seem to have a list to starboard for some reason, Im thinking I just have to move some stuff around. And as with all older boats you will have to find all the nasty rewires that the previous owners did, Im learning how to solder real quick and heat shrink tubing is your friend.
  • Options
    BruceBruce Member Posts: 167 ✭✭
    Congratulations, I hope you have a great baoting season!
    2004 250 FV