Options

Raymarine c80 problem - fuzzy

craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
It seems that some gremlins have found there way into my c80. It will fire up and then I'll start to get lines through the screen or it will go to complete fuzz. Sometimes it will go to fuzz right upon startup. All connections seem fine and secure. I have new batteries and I'm showing 13 volts on the gauges so I think I'm good there to. Any ideas or has anyone else had a similar issue?

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That does not sound good. Did the screen get exposed to below freezing temps at all?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Yes it did actually.  I left it in the boat this winter.  It was last winter as well.  It is flush mounted in the dash.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cold temps can freeze the screens and wreck them.  Check your manual and see what it says about freezing temps.  I know people near me take that stuff off in the winter just for that reason, usually below 0F the problems start with the flat screens, unless specifically made for it.

Otherwise, maybe an update to the operating system is in order.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    JPJonesJPJones Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited May 2014

you might have the same problem that the C70 sometimes has at startup--has to do with the screen making contact with the sensors below it.  The quick and dirty fix is to use your thumbs and forefingers to press firmly on the screen.  Use a napkin to prevent leaving fingerprints.  Hope that helps--

Post edited by JPJones on
  • Options
    Captain_RobCaptain_Rob Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    had a c70 doing the same thing this year....took it out of dash to check all connections and found that the nmea cable was hooked up behind unit with nothing attached to it with bare wires touching...removed cable and unit has worked fine ever since i have done this.....stopped looking for problem after it started working. Not 100% sure that was the problem, but it is working now.  I keep boat stored inside as well