Options

First time painting outdrive question!

habit68habit68 Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
I have just finished sanding down my outdrive (VP/DP) but I ran out of daylight to paint. If I don't paint right away will this oxidize and I will have to re-sand or will it be alright? Also any ideas on what is best steps after sanding, kinda a painting newbie. Here is what I have planned,
1 sand 
2 clean with de-greaser
3 spray zinc chromate green primer (spray can) 1 or maybe two very light coats over entire outdrive. 
4 3 thin coats of VP OEM silver. (spray can)

Any info from anyone who has done it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    Does this boat live in the water?  If so, get used to the idea that you'll probably be touching up the paint every spring.  Are you going to follow with an anti-fouling paint such as Trilux?
  • Options
    it lives in fresh water for about 4 months of the year. No i am not planning on using anti-fouling. Do you know if I should have to re-sand, I read that if you don't paint right after you sand that the outdrive will oxidize. Any thoughts!
    Thanks!
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Oxidation on aluminium casting is not to bad compare to steel, if you can keep humidity or water out it is ok for a short period But you should try to apply primer ASAP after sanding and degreasing. If you search this site you would find the best recipe for painting your outdrive time consuming but it is worth the time Good luck
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    I have sanded, primed and painted too many outdrives to count including installing nose cones and doing that body work. For what it's worth I : sand the drives with progressively finer sand paper finishing-up with about a 600 grit, I spray some of the primer I am going to use on a lint free rag that will not give-off "fluff" and wipe the whole to be painted surface down (some people refer to that as tack ragging) then I spray on thin coats of the manufacturer's recommended primer on as hot and humid free day as I can trying to avoid wind and dust (I like the garage for this, the Admiral not so much). After the primer has dried well (at least 24 hours) I wipe the drives off with another lint free rag (no primer on it this time or it will dissovve the primer that was already sprayed on). Then a number of coats of finish spray paint. I have only owned Mercs so I have always used their o.e.m. primer and black spray (phantom black) - both products are super. That's my drill. Good luck! :-) MT P.S. After the drives have spent some time in the water and the paint (lacguer) has had a chance to cure i wash the drives and dry them. let them stand for 24 hours then wax them with Meguiars Flagship Wax.
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    Thanks MT and French your info is much appreciated!

• Options
    Does it matter if I get paint on the bellows or other lines?

• Options
    Yes, do not get paint on anything but the drives. The Mercury paint contains solvents that will errode rubber, plastic etc. I would think Volvo paint would be the same too. MT
  • Options
    Thanks, if I leave the Zinc chromate to dry for 24 hrs should I wipe it down with anything before I paint?
  • Options
    Any type of paint on plastic or rubber is not good lot of solvent in paint. After your zinc chromate is dry just wipe it down with a lint free rag or a tack rag. If you think that your zinc chromate is thick enough you could lightly sand it down with 600 sand paper to give teeth for your paint after sanding with the 600 use compress air to blow all the dust away then use a tack rag to remove any remaining dust specially all the hard to reach area Good luck
  • Options
    Ok, so here is what I ended up doing. I guess I will have to wait till the end of the year to see if it holds up!

1) sanded down bare metal with 80 grit.
    2) sanded down the rest with 120 just to rough it up.
    3) washed it down with 50/50 vinegar/water solution.
    4) used a spray can and sprayed 2 very light coats of  Zinc Chromate (waited about 10 min between coats)
    5) I then used 2 spray cans of VP DXP silver and put on 5 very light coats of paint. (5 min between coats)
    Here is how it turned out.
  • Options
    Beautiful Job! MT
  • Options
  • Options
    Looks good, good job
  • Options
    thanks frenchship!