Options

Charging Problems

skidrowskidrow Member Posts: 45 ✭✭

I have a 04 FV 270... last fall I noticed that the voltage meter wasn't showing 13 volts

while under way...Put the boat away for the winter...in the interim I had both

batteries replaced( one had a dead cell and only measures 8.6V)..I also took the alternator in and had it rebuilt..

new diodes and volt regulator...hooked it up today and volt meter on dash still showing

approx. 12 volts...have checked all wiring on alternator and batteries...anyone have any ideas before I pull

out the alternator again....

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    take a look at the gauges, corrosion on the connection will cause goofy readings. Also, the manufactures always tap into the ignition switch to run the gauges, This gives a voltage reading but not an accurate one. For a true voltage reading you need to run a pair of 14 gauge wire from the battery to the gauge. The wire with no other loads on it will give the accurate reading
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Power is a funny thing... Well documented, but funny all the same.. the further from the source you get, the less accurate it's going to be.. the more intercepts, unless those intercepts have been accounted for, the less accurate it's going to be.. there are some sweet, albeit expensive and complicated means to monitor voltage.. your analog gauge misses that mark by a wide margin.. if your engine is efi/mpi, your pcm cares greatly about the true voltage and is the place to look (via scan tool) to know the truth..

Good luck, sir... I don't think you need it, though.. :-)
  • Options
    Thanks..I do have a scan tool and will check the pcm ..forgot about that tool...
  • Options
    We'll as I suspected....alternator was shot....had it rebuilt and working great..... Thanks all.