Options

Noticed some spider cracks. Thoughts on why?

rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
All. Washing her down today I noticed some spider cracks coming from my front running lights and one from the first bow rail post. I believe I have read somewhere about people having problems with water getting in around these lights and the posts. I'm wondering if water got in there and then the cold weather this winter froze it and caused these fine cracks. Thoughts? I have not noticed any moisture In the cabin but I have not cleaned down there yet. I'm not too worried about it now as I will be under roof but will want to fix it prior to winter. Can someone give me an idea of the process involved in revealing these?

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

Comments

• Options
    Oops. Stupid auto correct. Resealing these?

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Most of the time those spiders crack are only cosmetic. If they are really fine I wouldn't not worried to much about them. If you really want to repair them you would have to gouge them wider so the gelcoat past will have something to stick to. Most of all the boat with a certain age you could find spider cracks. Some time it is cause by extra thick gelcoat or stress applied to the gelcoat.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    I agree with French.. I'd guess the one next to the first rail post was caused by a bump into a piling. Maybe post a picture if you can.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Yes they are really fine. I'm not worried about repairing them but I am worried about what caused them. Yes I can see maybe a bump causing the railing one but the ones coming from the lights? How do I even go about removing those lights to check behind them? Does the top dome pop off somehow?

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The tops come off the lights, likely by twisting then pulling gently. Then they unscrew, on mine they were caulked from the bottom which made ot a pita to get them out.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Mine had lot of caulking also. For the cause of the spider web extra thick gelcoat and our boat are always under stress. Also remember when your boat is out of the water I'd does change shape and again when you put it back in the water, this normal.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had some spider cracks show up around one of my cleats. Turned out the Gelcoat was a little too thick around that area. Very easy to fix.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Ok so I'm feeling better that it may be just normal wear and checked the cabin today and did not find any signs of water getting in. My lights are working so I am not going to bother to mess with them. Thank you all

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Problem with spider cracks ate if a little water gets in them in the winter and freeze it can cause the spider cracks to get worse.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    Spider cracks are normal. If you are out in rough seas this will cause spider cracks from flexing. This is why I slow down in rough seas. others go screaming by me, I just wonder about the damage they are doing to their hulls and or the dishes in galley.. if you are concerned about water and freezing, make sure you get your boat shrinked wrapped before Jack Frost hits.