Options

LED Spreader lights

Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
What is the LED direct replacement for the spreader lights? I would like to replace them so they draw less power.
2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
Go Steelers!!!

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod
    They are different from boat to boat. Your best bet is to remove one and check what it is before purchasing. I learned the hard way and bought what my previous boat had as spreader lights, then they weren't right.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    OldDogNewTrixOldDogNewTrix Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    I found LED replacement bulbs for mine, about $7 each at a local marine supply. Mine are festoon type, forget the exact length. I'd take one of the bulbs with you to match it to an LED one.
    Wayne '09 340 EC
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with DI: verify the size then select.  You can put in LED bulbs, but if you want 'real' LED performance you need the show lens and everything.  I put in the tri-color ones in my spreader, looks great and the red at night is a benefit.  I did have to open up the holes in the plates and drill/tap new holes for mounting them.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    golfdoggolfdog Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    I also put in tri-color lights red,blue, and dimming white. Mine are Lumitec which are smaller that the original. Lumitec sells an adapter that was less than ten dollars that works perfectly. I also replaced all the cockpit lights with these.
    Jerry
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,538 mod
    Be careful sizing them.  With OEM incandescent lights, the mounting screws tend to be at the outer edge, so the cutout has a large diameter.  Some LED light fixtures with the same outer diameter are actually made for a smaller cutout, and the mounting screws are closer to the center.  If the cutout is too big, you need to install an insert first.

So, don't just look at the outside diameter and assume they will fit easily.