Options

2005 fiesta 270 leans/ lists to port

laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
My 2005 fiesta 270 leans to port. I filled my water tank and it evened out a little. I am not a fan of carrying all the extra water weight, but need the weight to even out. Anyone else have this problem? Suggestion? Would like to loose the extra weight. Also, heavy gas/ fuel vapor smell when I first get in boat. Both cabin area and deck . Appears to be no fuel leaks. Any suggestions

Comments

• Options
    I meant to leans to starboard (right) oops
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Urgent #1: fix the gas smell. It's a disaster in the making. Start simple: fuel connections at engines, filters, water seperators, valves. Then your gas filler lines and vents, be thorough.. Then check your tank. Follow your nose after well venting it. Be safe!
    Post edited by Black_Diamond on

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Gas smell be really careful it is a serous thing. You need to find the source even before starting the engine.
  • Options
    It's not crazy and I do NOT start boat until fume free. Will continue to investigate thanks .
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With a gas smell you should not start engines or do anything that might create a spark. As we all agree, a gas smell on a boat is - as BD says #1 Urgent! MT
  • Options
    RussRussRussRuss Member Posts: 28
    Yep - exact same boat with exact same lean.  I keep the turd tank empty as possible and fresh water tank pretty full and it is still is not quite level.  Nothing obvious to do to fix that I can see, and moving batteries is not worth the effort.  So unless I am missing something, "big guys sit over there"
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

As everyone else is saying, do not start the boat with those gas smells. It's only a matter of time before it ignites and there will be disaster.  You need to find that fuel leak.  I had a similar issue, mine was leaking out of the top of my fuel sending unit (it wasn't sealed well). The sending unit is on a flange on top of the gas tank.  It may be leaking only a tiny amount, but it doesn't take much to make a lot of fumes.

Have a look around that flange to see if it is leaking. It may be only a thin slick down the side of the tank. The gasket on it's own is not good enough to seal this. My mechanic had to put a special fuel resistant caulking/paste around the gasket and through the screw holes.

As for the listing - yes on boats with an 8.5 ft beam that's what you get.  The battery locations make a huge difference, as well as where your FULL fridge is, and what level your water and waste tanks are at. Mine lists to port side - because both my batteries are on that side, as well as my full water tank, and full fridges/cooler bags, and my empty waste tank is on starboard.  I've been thinking of moving my batteries to starboard to counter-balance - but that is too much work - lol.  I will live with my list.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't underestimate the issue of fumes migrating throughout the boat and becoming an ignition point far beyond the engine compartment which IS NOT SEALED OFF FROM THE CABIN and an endless supply of other sparks.

Our 270 fuel tank failed after only 6yrs (and apparently it wasnt an isolated issue) that Rinker participated in repairing so while I hope for a simple solution don't be too quick to think its resolved. There is no higher danger onboard than raw fuel vapor. Good luck. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    My 276 seems to lean a bit to starboard especially when the water tank is empty, and its got a 9'1" beam.

I would think the batteries would affect the lean some, but I'll bet the weight on one side more forward would have a greater affect on the lean. It seems a common problem for most boats regardless of brand, so a bad of sand or water may be the only semi permanent fix. Do you have trim tabs, because I can get my lean resolved with just a touch of extra tab on that side.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    Thank everyone for the comments. Going down in morning to check out boat. Will keep you posted. Thanks so much
  • Options
    Figured out my gas smell. Coming from seal at top of tank. Tank was filled to brim. Went out on lake ran the boat hard to burn off fuel, and no more leak. I will replace gasket this week.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good detectove work. Blower on! MT
  • Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    Glad you figured that out that leak and it looks like an easy fix.  My 312 lists to the starboard side also.  There is just more stuff on that side of the boat.  The cockpit fridge, the head, the cabin fridge, stovetop, etc...  My trim tabs even it out underway.  I don't bother to carry extra water in the holding tank, I'd rather keep things as light as possible for fuel economy and let the tabs do their job.  I once even got a call from the marine because they had never noticed it and thought that something may be wrong. 

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• Options
    JohnnyCakeJohnnyCake Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    I had exactly the same fuel vapor problem two years ago on my 2006 FV250.
    The sealant of the fuel level sending unit was leaking when the tank was completely full.
  • Options
    Thanks again for the feedback everyone. Anyone ever change that gasket? Looks pretty straight forward
  • Options
    BruceBruce Member Posts: 167 ✭✭
    Nothing to it, just be sure you use the right gasket/seal and don't use any sealer/silicone. And of course don't use anything that sparks, ie: cordless drill, tighten screws evenly. 
    2004 250 FV