Anyone have advice for changing a Raw Water impeller on 250FV (volvo engine)

habit68habit68 Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
I have been reading that it might be hard to get at the raw water impeller to change on my boat.
I have a 2005 FV250 with a 5.7 Volvo penta engine. It looks to be at the front of the engine, will this be hard to get at? If i do get a mechanic to do it, how much labour for this.......I have also heard some may need the engine removed to change it. Is this the case with my engine setup or is it fairly straight forward for a volvo mechanic?
Thanks!

Comments

• qwikwhipqwikwhip Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    I have a 2002 FV250 with the mecr 350mag. I don't know if yours is the same but I can't imagine it being all that different. It was not an easy job by any means, but if your a decent back yard mechanic you should be able to tackle it. I had to remove the electric hatch prop, the lower hose from the front of the motor, the serp belt, alternator bracket and idler pulley as well as the spin on fuel filter. That gave me enough room to unbolt the raw water pump from it's bracket and pull it out. I might add this is all done while working with your head upside down and laying across the motor. lol
    2005 Captiva 232 Liberty Edition, MX6.2/B3, Corsa
  • jkleinjklein Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    Hi habit/quick. So I was greeted this spring with a seized water pump and melted serpentine belt. I hired the marina mechanic do do,the job since as quick whip stated accessing the water pump was difficult but not impossible. Every item you suggested removing needed to be removed. The total job was 1175:00 and more than $500 was labor just to access the pump. Hope this helps.
  • Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    The impeller is very easy to change. I'd recommend trying yourself so you can do it incase you are in a jam someday. There are 4 brass screws. Sometimes it it's easier to pull the two main water hoses off when putting it back together. Replace the oring too. It comes with the new impeller. Do Not over tighten the brass screws. Just snug plus. Quick tip... add a second hose clamp to each big hose. The slightest vacuum leak (air leak) will over heat your engines.

LG
  • habit68habit68 Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
    thanks guys! jklein is yours also a Volvo penta 5.7 or is it a Merc?
    Thanks for the info guys, I will have a look at it later this week, i have just heard it is sometimes hard to get at to change!

• BruceBruce Member Posts: 167 ✭✭
    I replaced mine on our 04 250fv with a Volvo 5.7 this past February, it certainly is not a fun job as you can not even see the housing, but it is do-able with a little patience and the ability to contort yourself into the engine bay.  First I removed the pins on the engine housing actuator so I could flip it up and open all the way. I was able to lay down on top of the motor and reach the (2)  9/16" headed bolts holding the bracket to the block and then removed the (4) 5/16" headed brass bolts holding the housing. TIP: one the the little brass bolts sits right between the hose outlets, it took me some time trying to find it. The only other tip I have to share, is when installing the (2) bracket bolts I had a hard time holding them in place and not dropping them into the abyss under the motor, so I started them in the bracket and put small rubber o-rings over the threaded ends to hold them to the bracket. When the bolts are tightened the little o-rings crush to almost nothing. 
      Again this is not a fun job because of the lack of clearance between the front of the motor and the bulkhead,  but that being said, the whole job took me less than an hour.  Hope this helps, and good luck.
     Bruce
    2004 250 FV 
    Thats great, thanks Bruce!

• Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    Penta is a cake walk compared to Mercury. Mercury sea water pumps are installed in the most difficult spots, usually next to a stringer. I just finished changing mine and that's a job that I avoid like the plague. Penta has them in the front of crank pulley which are much easily to access. I just changed a pair on my friends Prowler and the job was so easy compared to my Merc's. We didn't even take it out of the water to do it.
  • jkleinjklein Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    Mines a merc. Sounds like the water pump is even more hidden on the merc vs. Volvo. Good luck.
  • JohnnyCakeJohnnyCake Member Posts: 29 ✭✭

Bruce is right, it's quite easy. I hadn't done it ever, and took about 1,5 hours, but I wanted to learn how to do it in case on emergency...
    The difficult part is that you can not see the impeller housing properly. Take amount of pictures with your cell, and you will figure out how that can be detached and you have documents of the work.

Note the direction of the old impeller and put the new one as the old one was. Use lube to put the new one inside housing. Clean the housing.

Here's a couple of pics.