Options

Prop replacement question

ssitandyssitandy Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
Just ordered replacement prop set for our 232 Captiva w/ Bravo III. Can anyone tell me if the washers and nuts should be replaced with the new prop set?
Or can I use the old ones if they are not damaged?

Comments

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    I personally use all new hardware when changing props inexpensive piece of mind
  • Options
    RussRussRussRuss Member Posts: 28
    I don't have enough boating experience to give you a good answer, but I will share a discussion I had with a well respected local mercruiser mechanic when I had my BIII props off.  I could not get the larger thrust washer off the shaft and asked him how to get it off. His reply was, "why do you want to take it off?" 
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if the nut you're talking about is a nylon bushed lock nut, I would get a new one... if it relies on the bending star lock, I would get a new nylon bushed lock nut and use it instead of using just the bending tab thingy... :-)
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Russ - It is smart to pull off the props on the BIII if for nothing else than to regrease the shaft splines, that is recommended maintenance.  Taking off the thrust washers is good too: clean and regrease.  A gentle tap with a drift and it should come off, it is a slip fit on the shaft.  Jusy don't goober up the tapered portion. 

As for a fastener, if you want the true technical answer: never reuse a fastener.   Once you properly torque it you actually stretch the fastener and it is never the same again.  Then there is reality and practicality in non-critical applications.  Nylock fasteners can be reused a few times, but eventually the nylon wears and it is smart to replace.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm 100% with everything BD just posted but would like to add I clean the ss propshaft with a clean rag and apply Mercruiser special lubricant 101. If you do this at least once a year you will never have stuck propellers and if something is amiss with the shaft or propellers you will likely notice it. There is some debate whether the thrust washer should be brass or SS I have used both and never noticed a difference. :-) MT