Options

Cd/ipod only play on two speakers

JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Ok everyone I will be the first to admit I know nothing on radios. so here's my problem/question when I play fm all 8 speakers work fine on our 2003 290FV when I change the radio to CD or Ipod only the two speakers in the cabin work.  we have a sony cdx-m6oui a kenwood kac-64ss amp. Sony is no help tried them. here are some pictures of the mess the previous owner left. I have tried settings on radio nothing seems to work looking for a good place to start. thanks in advance for the help

. View photo 1.JPG in slide showView photo 2.JPG in slide showView photo 3.JPG in slide showView photo 4.JPG in slide show

Comments

• Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    Your amp has gone bad

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options

any way to check that? I noticed that only the front speaker wires from the radio are attached to any other wires. the wiring is quite a mess. not that I doubt you just searching for my knowledge

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    I don't see any pictures......
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    By the way where is the I pod plug in ?
  • Options
    usb plug on the radio even tried the jack in the front
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Try blowing out your plug on the IPod sometimes dust gets in there and prevents the plug from functioning correctly. This may not be the case since you said you tried both the USB and the Aux plug.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    kneedeepkneedeep Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    When I plug my iPad into the aux plug at the helm, the music only plays through speakers on one side of the boat.  When its plugged into the aux inside the cabin near the radio, all speakers work & when using the radio or the cd all speakers work.  For me, It is definitely just one bad aux plug.
  • Options
    Even when I play a cd only cabin speakers play go back to fm radio all eight play . Calling a guy in town who does installs maybe he cant trouble shoot it thanks everyone
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It almost seems like a plug or connection isn't in all the way?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    midwestemidweste Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    Hmmm.... that sounds like your cd head unit may be bad, or your amp. I can't see any of your pictures.

2000 180 Bowrider, 135hp 3.0L Merc, 2.00 Alpha One Gen 2 OD, 14.5 x 19P prop

Regular weekender, trailer stored indoors, Southern Ohio  

• Options
    Finally figured it out the previous owner had the amp wired wrong. They were using the wrong power lead. Thanks for all the help
  • Options
    midwestemidweste Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    That makes perfect sense now. The two cabin speakers are powered by the head unit, and the other speakers are powered by an external amplifier. They probably had the Power Antenna remote turn-on lead switching the amp on, instead of the Power Amp remote turn-on lead. Glad you were able to figure it out and its working. 

2000 180 Bowrider, 135hp 3.0L Merc, 2.00 Alpha One Gen 2 OD, 14.5 x 19P prop

Regular weekender, trailer stored indoors, Southern Ohio  

• Options
    That's is excatly what they had going
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless it is a newer head unit, a 2003 won't likely have a USB/iPod plug port.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI