Options

Prop suggestions for 2004 Captiva 212

Just bought this 212 and looking for prop suggestions. I will be cruising, towing skiers and riding some choppy water on Lake Ontario. 

Comments

• Options
    nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    sdtrip wrote:

Just bought this 212 and looking for prop suggestions. I will be cruising, towing skiers and riding some choppy water on Lake Ontario. 

What engine? I have a 2002 212 with a carbed 5.0 220 up engine and I run a 21 pitch Vengence stainless most of the time and a 20 pitch 4 blade alum for watersports.

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• Options
    sdtripsdtrip Member Posts: 4
    nhsd wrote:
    sdtrip wrote:

What engine? I have a 2002 212 with a carbed 5.0 220 up engine and I run a 21 pitch Vengence stainless most of the time and a 20 pitch 4 blade alum for watersports.

Can't believe i did not state that it is a 5.0 MPI. 260 hp. 
  • Options
    Can't believe I didn't state it,  I have 5.0 MPI, 260 hp.
  • Options
    nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    Not sure what happened to the old posts, but I have the 5.0 carbed 220 hp Alpha 1 and I run either a 21 pitch stainless vengence or a 20 pitch Alpha 4 aluminum 4 blade. I tried a 19 pitch Rev 4, but it was clearly too much prop for that engine and drive. I currently run the Alpha 4 most of the time.

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• Options
    Just ordered a SS Vensura 14 in x 19 pitch for my '04 Captiva 212 with 5.0 MPI, 260 hp.  Anyone with same motor on a 212 running a similar prop?  Lake Ontario, Sandy Pond, NY.  Currently have the stock 14.25x 21 pitch alum. 
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when you drop pitch, you should consider adding diameter... the diameter is one of the most overlooked in prop calculations. 

i installed a ron hill pleasure 5 in 14 1/8" and 19p on my '05 212 captiva-  there is no hole shot with this prop- there is sub plane and plane, and the difference is about a second in time and 5 feet in distance...... i can cruise on plane silly low, like just above 2krpm's... top end hits about 4800RPM/46mph'ish, which is where the engine crests in it's band (4.3lx/190hp stock, I'm likely pushing about 210 or so with supporting mods, calling for WOT of 4400~4800).  the prop suits my needs, as it allows cruising speeds at economical levels, and the handling below plane (idle) speed is ridiculous- it turns on a dime and tracks perfectly, even in strong current, and regardless of what folks say about a five blade in reverse, it works admirably.  

i wish i would have gotten the 21p in 14", with the same five blades and geometry (it has a pretty dramatic rake and progressive geometry), and I bet I could still hit the middle of the band (4500~4600rpm) but press on up to 50mph.. there is single digit slip with this thing once it bites in, but, the 21p/14" could be vented for allowing faster spool out of the hole.... live and learn, huh? 

you're going to overpower that 19p/14" wheel... especially if it is a three blade... the forth blade will reduce your top engine speed by about 100rpm's tops, and more likely around 70rpm or so... those things come with sizable vents- which I highly recommend you plug completely.. your hole shot will be similar to mine with them plugged...  with them open?  you'll wash out for the first 10~15ft before it bites.  Just my opinion.  you'll also likely be able to tag the rev limiter with that prop... sorry to be a party pooper, but that's too little a prop for your rig, UNLESS you're heavily loaded and have discipline to keep the engine in it's prescribed RPM band.  

• Options
    floater212floater212 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    I have the ron hill 5 blade 19" on my 2005 212 xr1 with a 350mpi. WOW is all I can say. the high five it replaced couldn't backup or have any control at no-wake speed. the larger width blades on the ron hill prop grabs more water for better control and my 19" is faster than the high five 21" by about 5mph. so I can't say enough about the ron hill props... I would buy them again!