Options

Outdrive oil

Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've mentioned that I changed over my Bravo-III oil from the Mercury stuff to a Neo-Synthetic gear oil 75W-90MRHD (Editied to correct oil ID) (www.neosyntheticoil.com) (http://www.bravoshop.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=182&zenid=nba5aetfvt6vns7rr8d4ssnvs6) based on the guy who rebuilt my outdrives (www.allamericandriveservice.com) recommendations.  He uses / recommends it for all his high HP / heavy usage applications.  I have about 80 hours on the oil  (2 seasons) and just pulled samples to be analyzed to see how I was doing, all in all, excellent and no degradation of the lubricant. 

The guy who did the results had extremely high praise for the Neo-Synthetic products and thought this stuff was out of the box thinking (in a good way).  Attached is an analysis of the unused oil: key items: Phosphorous, lead, potassium, all anti-wear additives.  The oil peforms at the 90w level and no breakdown at temp.

I have zero personal interest in the overhauler, oil supplier or testing house.  Just people I have worked with that are unbiased on this stuff and my personal results so far.  Stuff is not cheap, but compared to an outdrive, it is cheap and getting 2+ seasons out of it is even better savings.  Something to consider if you are looking to upgrade your outdrive lubricant.

Note I corrected the oil ID info and a source for it too!!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
PC BYC, Holland, MI
Post edited by Black_Diamond on

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    BD - interesting, thanks for sharing. Maybe I am misreading the report, but it looks like none of the oil measurements changed at all -- zero change after two seasons, but that can't be right.  What are typical changes you would expect to see with conventional oil?
  • Options
    LaRae: that report is the unused oil, I'll post up the used oil later to compare. Sorry I was not clear.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    I've been using AMSOIL in my drives since I bought the boat and so far no issues. Although I do change it every year. How long do you expect to get out of this oil prior to changing it? What is the cost of the analysis?

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I've heard the Merc stuff called "blue death", not sure why though. I just worry about them denying a warranty claim if I didnt use their stuff (have 4 years left). Once I'm past that though, I'd probably switch.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

x

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    The guy who rebuilt my drives calls it 'blue death' too. He recommended the Neo oil and has a 2 yr warranty on the drives, so I'm done with the Merc outdrive oil.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited November 2014

x

• Options
    I would not dare run non-Merc oil with warranty in effect either, that would be a 'gotcha'.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    well, another topic that well, I've been dealing with.  I had one of my Bravo 2 drives go up on me on Easter.  Hoping I'm finally back on the water this weekend!!  I claimed it on insurance, not sure if I had hit something or??  The surveyor thinks the drive at some point got hot.  I've always changed my gear lube oil every year with each boat I've owned (now, I only bought the boat two years ago). I just don't know what to think, but I'm ready to get back on the water. The drive will be new and under warranty, so I'll use the blue stuff for now.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited November 2014

x

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    MT, I'm looking at the halo showers. My boat is ready today, gonna enjoy it tomorrow morning. Feels like a very long time!!! I can add the showers on very easily at my dock since I have the lift.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Just a follow up: please see the OP as I corrected the oil name and added a place to get it.  I ran 2 seasons on it and will flush just because they were overhauled at the time and you still get some break-in wear.  I would fully expect to get several seasons out of it.  I'll get it re-analyzed after this season to see if the iron and AL drop off the analysis as expected.    I had zero degradatoin due to heat..so a plus on the oil and maybe those drive showers actually do something after all.  lol

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    DI: those pictures you showed of the gears definately had indications of lubrication failure. The pitting and spalling (looks like areas of popped out metal) are textbook. Both my B-III drives had gears like that aside from the ones ground up. Lol.
    Post edited by Black_Diamond on

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited November 2014

x

• Options
    Heat can break down the oil, which then loses the ability to lubricate properly and then you get the mechanical wear/damage. Synthetics handle heat way better than traditional oil stocks thus resist breakdown. If you look around, there are published charts that relate oil life to operating temperature, traditional oils at over 200F have severely reduced life. Industrial gearboxes try to stay below 140F (AGMA std) and use fans or heat exchangers to make this happen. So a drive shower makes sense in that respect.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited November 2014

x

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    BD. I don't understand what you meant by : Just a follow up: please see the OP as I corrected the oil name and added a place to get it. I would like to see that info Thanks Paul
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Ok I did not look at the right place..." Paul
  • Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Guys this is great information. I have a Bravo 3 drive on my 2004 232 Captiva BR so after reading this discussion I looked at my drive. It had the white chalky film on the upper half of the drive. I used Lime-away to get it off, then I immediately ordered a drive shower yesterday, that you guys recommended. I plan to change the drive oil to synthetic oil also. I know this post is for outdrive oil but I have used Mobil 1 full synthetic in all my auto engines (5 with kids cars) for the last 10 years for the same reasons you mentioned above. Any recommendations on this? I see Mercury makes a full synthetic engine oil, but I didn't specify this when I had it winterized last fall.

• Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    On my boat 312 FV, I believe that my drive is submerged. I think part if the transom assembly sticks out but that is it. It's under the swim platform so I never really take notice. So a drive shower would do me no good correct?

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• Options
    edited November 2014

x

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that when you are on plane your drive will be out of the water, maybe less than half of it will be in the water.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited November 2014

x

• Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    Great thanks MT.
  • Options
    BruceBruce Member Posts: 167 ✭✭
    Does anyone know who is producing Mercruiser oil? 
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amsoil synthetic marine in my '04 350 Mercruiser engine and Merc synthetic gear oil in my OD. Not an oil war advocate just keeping it slick and cool.

It's not JUST 2 right angles of gear pressure and counter rotating prop gears (as if that's not enough) that heats that upper outdrive when it's up on plane and pushing hard, it's the frikken HOT a$$ exhaust running back > down and out that gets 'er SUPER piping hot. Not an ideal mechanical combination. Best bet for any OD is to take it off plane every 15-20mins when cruising and let that sweetheart cool down a bit at trolling/trawler speed.

I know they've done torture testing for days on end but, as has been seen by anyone who has a chaulky film on the OD after a long day, these rascals run HOT. Give 'em a break now and then.....but put the best oil in them too. A stern shower is also a good bet, but it's still a hostile work enviroment back there.

Just sayin' Mike  Have a great season.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl