Options

05 342 - Danforth Compass

Friends,
I need to replace my Danforth A154 Compass. Anyone know where I can find one?

Comments

• Options
    midwestemidweste Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    Hey EaglesNest,

It looks like they don't make the Danforth A154 compass anymore, and they cannot be repaired. 

Here is a link to a replacement by Viking:  http://www.vikingcompass.com/c-351.html

Ritchie 3" F-82 Voyager and F-82DR 

I hope this helps

MW

2000 180 Bowrider, 135hp 3.0L Merc, 2.00 Alpha One Gen 2 OD, 14.5 x 19P prop

Regular weekender, trailer stored indoors, Southern Ohio  

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    I had the same danforth. Replaced mine with a Richie. The base was not an exact match but went to a plastics shop and they cut a base that match the dash screws and raised the compass slightly. Cost was about $30.00.
  • Options
    EaglesNestEaglesNest Member Posts: 30 ✭✭

Let me ask this question.  If I have a compass in my GPS, can't I just make it a cup holder???

Or do I definitely need a compass?

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    You could but what if you lost power to your GPS? The Danforth is there for a backup.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    EaglesNestEaglesNest Member Posts: 30 ✭✭

Thanks Midweste.

I went to Sales - SJK Products <sales@sjkproducts.com> And bought a compass.

RITF82-B   Ritchie Voyager (Flush Mount) Compass   $90.99  

It was at my house in 2 days.

Dream_inn helped me install or should I say he installed it and I watched.

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My original Danforth C351 died on my 342.  Big bubble, card tilted.  Just got the Ritchie F-82DR today.  Need to drill new holes and align, no biggie.

Here's my question to 342 owners: my C351 was never true and worse than that, it was off randomly...sometimes 20+ degrees.  Wondering if anyone else had this problem and tracked it back to the magnetic field from the wiring at the dash?  If so, what's the fix on this?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    in a pinch, my iphone has a compass too...backup for the backup maybe?
  • Options
    ruwallydogruwallydog Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    BD, 

My Danforth had the same issue, but when I replaced it with the Ritchie a few years ago it has been spot on ever since. The panel on the 340 is different than your 342 but hopefully the error won't duplicate itself with the Ritchie replacement.

Fingers crossed!
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Danforth is the same. Always 20 degrees off. Bubble in the top and kinda slanted. This is my first year with the boat so it's low priority due to having iPhones, iPad, and the radar chart plotter but will be replacing sometime soon. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)