Options

Removal of the radar arch on a 2007 EC 260

redmen1962redmen1962 Member Posts: 2
Hi, I am looking at buying a used boat but it has a damaged Radar arch, has anyone seen this type of damage before on a Rinker EC 260 (Stress fracture maybe ???) Current owner said he bought it like this, so I don't know the cause of the damage.
I think I will have to remove the radar arch for repair or renewal, has anyone any experience on removing this arch ?
Any idea if all the bolts are accessible  etc...
Any other possible issues when doing this ??

Apart from this damage the boat looks to be in good condition, so your comments will help me decide if I shall to go ahead with the purchase of this great looking boat.

You comments will be very much appreciated,

Thanks in advance ;o)

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Look at the top of the arch on the front side, see if there is any damage. It almost looks like he hit a bridge and the force from pushing it back caused the cracks on the bottom.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's probably not water freezing damage. It looks pretty compromised from the pictures to me.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    I would be worried about the stress it applied to the mounting points of the arch as well as the arch repair. I would say aero3113 is right when saying it hit a bridge or something else harder then the arch. I would have a local professional look at this real close. my guess is there is some other hidden damage also. Good Luck
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking a bridge or some other solid structure. I would be very worried about hull damage, particularly unseen inner hull and support areas. I'd get a surveyor. Tell the seller to split the cost with you 50-50. He's going to need a report to sell that boat anyway. MT
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it hit a bridge to me. And it would have been hard for that kind of damage.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Generally not a good navigation technique to stop an 8000lb boats' momentum with a radar arch :D

I'd say it's not a simple fix but certainly not a deal killer if the price is right. More importantly, any captain that would run the boat into a fixed overhead object might have been "slightly off" on other more critical issues regarding care and maintenance. Let that arch damage be a flag for other possible neglect..... or maybe that incident scared the want-to-be captain right out of him and he went back to golf or art classes.

I'd agree with the others that a real serious survey should be done on all the systems including a mechanical overview and complete review of the hull for other "navigation deficiencies". The engine and outdrive won't do well if it has been neglected and that's where the real cash will drain.

Like the hot broad at the end of the bar, don't fall in love until you know about her history and any quirks you may not want to live with. And a through test drive is always prudent too. :D

Good luck.
    Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    redmen1962redmen1962 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all the comments guys !

I agree with the comments above, a more thorough examination is required at the top of the arch to try and see a point of impact, but more importantly at the base of the arch where it is connected to the hull.

I am trying to get a price for a finished painted replacement arch and an estimate on approx. how many hours would be required to remove the arch, as I am not sure on how accessible the mounting bolts are, going to be, anyone any idea on this ??

Many thanks,

John
  • Options
    FlyingBlind310FlyingBlind310 Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    I have a '02 310 FV....my arch is peeling/corroded and I asked my marina to get a quote for me....they said it would take upwards of 10 hours for an un-mount/mount of my arch. I have electronics (radar/tv/lights/antenna) so I am not sure how much that complicates things. On top of that they said that it would get sent to a local auto body shop to get powder coated which was estimated at a grand. I need to have my canvas redone as well so I am deferring until the fall to get everything at once.

hope that helps,
    JJ

2001 310 Fiesta Vee

T-5.0 FWC Mercs w/ B2

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ......and remember too. Unklike that hot broad Tiki talked about once you take that boat home it's yours. You can't take it back to the bar and you can't practice safe sex - if you make a mistake with that boat it's YOURS brother! :-) get a professional survey. MT
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    If it feels sound and you don't intend to mount anything substantial on it you could just patch it where it sits. All bets are off it's got ANY slop in it. Really, the seller could have done that so it does exhibit some degree of trustworthiness.

If i recall correctly, one of my mounting bolts is found behind a speaker that's easily removed and then some contortionist wriggling, another behind a seat cushion and another under the galley sink. Not impossible but not user friendly after about the age of 40. Use a cell phone camera to see back into spots that your face won't fit when in doubt. Cutting a couple of 3" access holes with a hole saw and finished with a trim piece wouldn't be completely out of line.

Wires running into the arch may pay the price if not dealt with carefully. Lets just say they don't use a de-burring tool in some of those wire chases. Be careful and good luck. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mounting bolts might be behind the speaker(not sure about the other side), would he let you remove it to look?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    I think id be asking about the dead fly below the arch... poor guy, must have been a heck of an impact! :))
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Ron Burgundy breaking news team expose' headline reads:

Super fly nearly destroys boat arch but meets his demise. Details at 6 as we host an exclusive interview with Orkin Man regarding our imminent doom as hordes of aerial combatants are spotted on local dog pile.

Only Ron has the news we need. WHAMMY!

Post edited by TikiHut2 on
  • Options
    BruceBruce Member Posts: 167 ✭✭
    Now that's funny!!!!
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭