Options

Who Uses Their Outdrive as a Step?

maybe a dumb question

I have seen people use their OD as a step to get on their boat but wasn't sure if hurts anything?

I am a new boater with my first boat,  thats why some of my questions seem dumb

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hurt the drive? Bet not. Hurt the person: heck yes. Bad bad idea.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Agree with BD! Seen plenty of split toes and close calls mixed with alcohol and/or sheer Inignorance with the helm key......
  • Options
    picturethispicturethis Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    In my case Im using the od as a step while the boats in my driveway,  rather then using the swim ladder 

I am a new boater with my first boat,  thats why some of my questions seem dumb
  • Options
    midwestemidweste Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    shin buster for sure!

2000 180 Bowrider, 135hp 3.0L Merc, 2.00 Alpha One Gen 2 OD, 14.5 x 19P prop

Regular weekender, trailer stored indoors, Southern Ohio  

• Options
    BruceBruce Member Posts: 167 ✭✭
    We use a step ladder to board our boat while it's on the trailer, no point in adding any extra stress to the swim ladder or the outdrive.  Just my 2 cents worth.
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .....however it would make for a good story at the local hospital's emergency intake of a guy who slipped and lost a few toes to his ss props (I have s set of B llls) :-( MT
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Step ladder for me when it's at the house. Super simple and no risk of whacking my ego.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl