Options

NO TACHOMETER MOVEMENT AT ALL?

BOTH ENGINE HOUR METERS WORK BUT WHEN YOU START THE ENGINE THE TACH NEVER MOVES FROM 600RPM NO MATTER WHAT THE ACTUALL RPM IS? BOTH ENGINES DO THE SAME THING CAN FIND ANY WIRING UNDONE. TWIN 350 HORIZONS PLEASE HELP

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give the tachs a nice tap and see if they work.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faria gauge frustration. Been there. I feel your upper case FRUSTRATION. :D

• BD has posted the 1st line of Faria gauge maintenance above.
    • 2nd would be check the tach wiring for corrosion/bad fittings.
    • 3rd get a portable tach and try it at the dash wires.
    • If all else fails you could send in your tachs for replacement with $150e for their generous(not) replacement program.
    • Or get a smartcraft gauge system that ties to your engine computer for rpm and host of other far more accurate engine info. (my eventual choice and I love it)
    Good luck, Mike

PS you posted this in the "for sale" forum but I hope you haven't reached that level of frustration yet.

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    So Tiki. Tell us more about your smartcraft gauges. I hate these **** analog gauges. They are never accurate but I am also a cheapskate. So what did it cost? Do the new gauges go in the same holes as the analog ones? Any pics you could post?

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• Options
    SerenitySerenity Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

I own a 2005 320 and have sent the Faria gauges back 4 times in the past with the $150 donation and was just tired of the Faria tap as well as the inaccurate gauges. I went with Smartcraft this past winter. I also replaced my Radar/gps with a Garmin 741xs which I moved up to the top of the dash covering the right cup holder. I was tired of trying to look at the screen down to the left while I was cruising-I always stand when on plane. I will post pictures of my dash after I am at the boat this weekend. As for the Faria gauges-the tachs were off by 200 rpm and the temp gauge was off by 20 degrees. Glad I switched. Love the gauges but they are a little expensive-cost me $2500 to have marina install but I also added a drive steering angle gauge as well as a gas fume detector.

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    R312, my '04 270 is a single engine Merc 350 with on-board (but previously unused) engine computer leads and terminal. There was an extensive search to find a reasonable and accurate gauge to tap that data and I ended up with a smartcraft gauge I found on Ebay NIB for $150. Bought a plug/play cable for another $50 and left all my analog gauges in place for redundancy.

Like Serenity said above I wasn't too surprised to find that there was little accuracy in my Faria readings compared to the engine computer data. Here's the link to the install thread with pics. Look for my update post from around around Feb 2014 ((LINK)).

It ended up being a SUPER easy upgrade. Far less painful than the Faria $$exchange$$ .
    Good luck in your search. Mike
    Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    BruceBruce Member Posts: 167 ✭✭
    Tiki, that setup looks fantastic, I wish they made on for my Volvo Penta!
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    ThellThell Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    Serenity said:

I own a 2005 320 and have sent the Faria gauges back 4 times in the past with the $150 donation and was just tired of the Faria tap as well as the inaccurate gauges. I went with Smartcraft this past winter. I also replaced my Radar/gps with a Garmin 741xs which I moved up to the top of the dash covering the right cup holder. I was tired of trying to look at the screen down to the left while I was cruising-I always stand when on plane. I will post pictures of my dash after I am at the boat this weekend. As for the Faria gauges-the tachs were off by 200 rpm and the temp gauge was off by 20 degrees. Glad I switched. Love the gauges but they are a little expensive-cost me $2500 to have marina install but I also added a drive steering angle gauge as well as a gas fume detector.

Hi Serenity, I have the same boat, year and frustration :-). Could you please get back with your shoppinglist over gauges and stuff. If you have some pictures it would be great. I would really like to buy the same setup as you.

Best Regards,
    Martin
  • Options

Martin,

I took all the Faria gauges out--except the clock which was the only accurate one. This weekend when at the boat I will send you some pictures.

• Options
    Perfect thank you.
    If you have the part.nr for the gauges it would be very helpful?

Have a nice weekend,
    Martin
  • Options
    Hi Guys. Here is what I did to the dash of my 2005 320 regarding the Faria Gauges and Radar.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    It looks really good. What is the black behind the gauges made of?
  • Options
    The black is a thin starboard material my mechanic had in the shop. He also used it as the base material for the Garmin.  It took up the space because the Smartcraft gauges are of a smaller diameter. I am really happy with them and the amount of information the gauges give is amazing. Beats the Faria tap.