Options

Is there a Water Proof Spray For Canvas & Camper Tops?

Part of my cockpit cover is leaking ,  who makes a good treatment for water proofing boat canvas?

thanks
I am a new boater with my first boat,  thats why some of my questions seem dumb

Comments

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Aero 303 and West Marine carries it.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I treat mine with 303 twice a season. Well worth it.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    My 1st outing on our 270 in the rain with the bimini up was like standing under a shower, no kidding. So I stripped my canvas and washed it in the driveway 2yrs ago. Then after it'd dried, used my 1gal pump sprayer and Starbrite water repellant. The gallon size thoroughly saturated my entire bimini AND my transport/cockpit cover with a pint or so left over.

Now water beads up like it's on a newly waxed car hood. I was amazed that it worked as well as it has. I'm on my second season and it's still working well. Amazon for $42gal. About the same price at West marine.

Simple as it gets to apply. Nice even saturation and let it dry a few hrs. Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod

Nice find Tiki.  Aerospace 303 for fabrics (green label, not blue) is recommended by Sunbrella but I think I'll try the Starbrite stuff next time.  I find that the Aerospace 303 product is expensive and it doesn't seem to last very long.

Mark

Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    hmmm....I'm an aerospace believer for the protectant (vinyl) and had used it in the past for canvas (got that, in the past ;) , sorry but love the hard top).  Star Brite does make some decent products and wouldn't hesitate to use them.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    I have used 303 spray on a number of mooring covers (which really get beaten by sun and rain) and the 303 kept them going well past their '"dead" date. MT   P.S - make sure the canvas is clean, hang it up on something (be careful with this, I hung canvas on the Admiral's clothesline a few years back and got sticky spray all over it, spent a few days outside with the dog), brush it with a stiff brush to open-up the canvas nap, spray on a reasnoable coat (not running down the canvas) let it dry for a half-day. it's then good to go. MT
  • Options
    nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    BTW West Marine is grossly over priced for 303. Checked the web site at $112 per gallon. Amazon has it at $54. Autogeek regularly sells it for less. I especially like the Autogeek sales of a case of 8 32 oz spray bottles (2 gallons) that I have seen as low as $90 with free shipping. Today it is $100 with free shipping on sales in excess of $150.

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• Options
    picturethispicturethis Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    thanks you guys are great. 

how about a good way to get rid of moisture in the cuddy,  something like DampRid?
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damp rid works.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    KYSEANKYSEAN Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    The Starbrite works great! Make sure it fully drys before any chance of water or rain gets on it.
    2012 Rinker BR216 5.0
  • Options
    picturethispicturethis Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    BTW ,  ebay has starbrite a little cheaper
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Two weeks after Starbrite Waterproofing, and probably 7-8 soaking rains. Pretty happy so far. The cover is only a year old, but it beads better than new now.

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    My canvas was 10y/o and completely useless as a rain shield. After 2yrs with the Starbright it's still beading up like you show above. That said, I really did a through cleaning, drying, soaking with starbright, and drying again. Couldn't be more impressed with the result myself. Probably the best $40 I've spent on the boat.

With that in mind my S Fl mid afternoon summer sun is a little more intense than living on the face of the sun itself.....at least it seems that way some days when the wind dies. The dark Navy blue canvas is great looking but hot and it creates a better shade than something lighter. Looking for some heat relief, last weekend I fashioned a pull-over h/d silver canvas that I roll out on top of my Bimini when we're at an anchorage on one of my broiler days and I was absolutely shocked at the difference it made. It really was a stunning difference in temperature in the cockpit.

It takes about 5min to roll out and secure and I'll put it away before getting underway. It is now cut to fit at the outline of my bimini top with grommetts pressed in and short lines every 4' to tie it off to the bows. The air gap that it creates between the bimini and canvas, combined with the added shade have given us a new lease on summer boating in the tropics......I hope. I'll post a pic or two next week. Have a safe weekend. MnK
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Tiki - great idea with the reflective canvas. I gotta think more about that one. I've got disposable thin reflective solar blankets that we keep for emergencies while snowmobiling in winter. One of those rolled out on our navy Bimini might be perfect. Prob look like floating space junk on the lake! Lol! (month late from the orig post)
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree I use starbrite. The water just beads off, it's great. I also sprayed my BBQ cover with it.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"