Options

FUEL GAUGE PEGGED AT FULL

Webb232BRWebb232BR Member Posts: 4

First, I was an ATT Senior Technician for 18 years so I know a little about electrical stuff.  With that this simple circuit is kicking my butt and pride.  I just installed a new sender (checked prior to installing; 33-240 ohms, and several times now after installing).  I have removed the instrumentation cluster to access the gauge.  Should I be getting 12V from the I (ignition) over to the S (Sender) when I turn the key on?  I get FULL reading with the sender hooked up with the boat's original wiring or my straight wiring (wires from the S sender and the GRD lug on the sender housing using wires laid across the floor) either one.  I have wired straight from the negative battery post to the gauge and used my wiring and got the same FULL reading.  I have used an external fuel gauge and got the same FULL reading.  IDEAS??  ANYONE???

Is there an electronic/downloadable schematic for this boat?  1998 Captiva 232BR

5.7L 1998 Captiva 232BR, Bravo III, Trailered 2-3 weekends/month, Tubing/Skiing/Cruising

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may be that your float is hung up..
  • Options

OK, I went back to my boat yesterday to do some more troubleshooting after posting this issue.  I turned the key on and the gauge worked!  If it "fails" again now then I know I have a wiring issue. 

I am prepared to run new wires from dash to transom, if needed.  Anybody have ideas on best method to get that done?

5.7L 1998 Captiva 232BR, Bravo III, Trailered 2-3 weekends/month, Tubing/Skiing/Cruising
  • Options
    use the existing wires to pull the new ones..

I betcha the float hung, and dropped at some point before your return.. it's worth a look-see.. it's moderately easy to get to if you can pull the five screw cap off the tank (where the sender lives).. simply unscrew it, pull it up enough (getting it out w/o much clearance is another story and maybe not easy at all) to get to the pivot mechanism, and hit it with some solvent such as wd40.. you may want a new cork gasket handy as well.
  • Options

Thanks 'drewactual' but, I can watch the float go to the bottom of the tank as I install the sender.  Also, I ran the tank dry last season in anticipation of this project this spring.  Last weekend I put 20 gallons in my 75 gallon tank so I can know exactly where my gauge should read.  Yesterday it read 1/4 tank which is perfect. I actually cut the float mechanism to allow for little reserve on my gauge.  I got it.

I really appreciate the response but, I am almost certain this so to speak "problem" will reoccur intermittently.  It will be a shorted sender wire at that point.

I'm just happy to see the gauge work which tells me that both sender and gauge are good.

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd look at the connections, it takes very little to mess up the signal via being loose or corrosion. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BD, if he wired straight to the sender from the dash on his own wiring, which I would guess has perfect integrity, and if it was wired correctly, I would guess the problem is with the float and not the sender..

the most obvious float problem would be that it is/was hung up.. he said it wasn't.. that directs to the next issue which could be the variable resistor on the float arm- and responsible for providing both the constant buffered reading and the actual level reading.  if that variable resistor is toast, and it isn't from a bared wired providing constant voltage across the points which is visible and repairable, it's time for an entire new float arm..

but whata I know.