Options

please help

tnaking2006tnaking2006 Member Posts: 15
new to this, my problem is I lost my navigation lights,horn,blower and bilge, but my radio still works and she will start, what am I overlooking? i have continuity to stern and bow nav lights tho, checked my fuses,they are good, didn't check blower or bilge for continuity, got to frustrated..lol thanks alot

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check connection at battery and/or switch.. if not that, you're gonna need to pull your dash and look behind it.. there are fuses tucked away where the hot leaves the harness.. if not that, see if the power line to those devices are common, and check it for juice and/or continuity.. I'd guess it strange to lose all those rockers, but it could happen.. check those too... And last but not least by any stretch, check common grounds for solid connection behind that dash.
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    All of those are common to the house battery switch. Maybe that switch "dial" has gone bad or has corrosion. Fiddle with that first. I assure you it will be something simple. The radio works because it is part of the starter battery "dial" wiring....
  • Options
    thanks will check on these after work today, also just wondering if you know what the toggle switch is for on the left side of dash,by the blower switch, just above the ignition, thanks again
  • Options
    Will a single battery still have the switch or dial?
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Hey welcome to the forum. What boat do you have??

That switch might be the dash light dimmer. Took me a month to figure that one out due to my faded switch symbols.

Pretty much what was said already. I'd head to the battery selector switch too. Contact cleaner/sandpaper/wire brush and di-elec grease are maiden voyage staples. Also check your battery cables for a corroded connector or eyelet or added wiring from a prior owner. An intermittently bad ground can also frustrate your trouble shooting. Basically look for corrosion and failing wire.

Good luck and be safe. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Thanks,it has no selector switch tho,will check all connectors after work, sorry its a 1997 182 b/r
  • Options
    pvantienenpvantienen Member Posts: 19
    I recently lost power to my panel (bilge, blower etc) on my 97 Captiva. I did follow the wires all the way back to the engine compartment. The was one power wire coming off the starter that had a 20amp fuse on it. I pulled the fuse and it crumbled in my hand, there was a spare which also crumbled. Replaced both, good to go. 

Hope this helps. 
  • Options
    Thanks a lot guys,I appreciate it,I have had waverunners the last 6 years,first time real boat owner tho..lol
  • Options
    found it..blown buss fuse on positive side of battery terminal, thanks again