Options

Mercruiser MAG 350 Problems

MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well, I've posted this in the Rinker Boat Owners Forum - but that site is down now.

My brand new 350 MAG started consuming oil after 30 hours. Problem has been getting worse - it now consumes 350 mL every 2 to 3 hours of operation at cruise speeds (about 1/3rd a quart).  The boat was taken out of the water for winterization and is at the dealer now to fix this. We did compression tests which showed 40% leakage through several cylinders.

Anyhow, we've been after Mercruiser for about 3 weeks now to tell us what to do.  When we first called several months ago they said they would sort me out, now they have not responded in 3 weeks!  I'm getting a bit tired of it.  Do the warranties mean nothing any longer??  A customer shouldn't have to go through what I'm going through.  I did everything right on my side. Being an engineer I strictly followed the break in procedure.  Now, it seems I have to fight to get any attention.

It's a bit dissapointing to be quite honest.

I'll keep you posted.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Comments

• Options
    l-skynyrdl-skynyrd Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    Mark......

Glad to see some people from the RBO on here. I can't help with you question since I have a 342.
    I have also seen mike342 on here and Babyboomer joined back in 2010. I still think this forum is better
    than facebook. What do you think?

Len

You have to love the water....

Len & Robyn   342 FV  Freebird

• Options
      Hey Len. Yes this is better than Facebook but RBO was much easier to use. Hope they get the site back up soon.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Well, Mercruiser called and they want one more test done. They want to decarbonize the cylinders to see if the rings are stuck.
    If that doesn't work (they will do a leak down test after that), then they will give me a new engine.

To be honest I would prefer a quick fix as taking out the engine and replacing it will be a nerve racking excercise!

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Hi Mark.....

Glad to hear that Mercrusier has finally got back to you. I think if it were me I would want a new engine
    or a extended warrente on the engine if they don't replace it. My boat is a 2002 and and have never had
    to deal with Mercrusier. Just a FYI I have never had to add oil in between oil changes (50 hours or 1 year).
    So if I were in your position I would want a new engine because there is something wrong with yours.
    Hold your ground and get a new engine and hopefully next year will be a great year on the water.

Len

• Options
    Mark... I know you have been following the facebook thread and I am triing to get Boomer to ask our friends to go
    on this forum. It not that hard to figure out. I miss RBO but this site is here and can be useful. Just my opinon.

Len

• Options
    MIKES342MIKES342 Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    I would take the new engine.  but make sure the dealer that installs it is qualified.  I would see how many engines your dealer has installed.  Some dealers are like used car dealers and only do minor repairs.  Up at Lake Erie in Ohio there are many dealers who are qualified so it really isn't a real problem.  I am sure there are many in your area that are qualified.  I would always go toward new if possible.

Mikes 342 I hope this helps.
  • Options

Hello all. Well to close this issue out, they found cylinder 3 was leaking oil.  I got a brand new engine which was installed this week. I am very happy. Now I need to do the 20 h breakin again.

The rinker dealer did it, they are mercruiser certified. So I have coverage (in terms of workmanship) on both sides of the equation.

I used the opportunity to take out the Faria RPM gauge and replace it with a mercruiser smart gauge so I will have a lot more indication now.  It even has troll control which may help my fishing.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options

Oh and one more thing ... the look/functionality of this site rocks totally now, much better than before.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad this moved here from Facebook, else I was gone. I don't do Facebook. :)

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI