Options

Dinghy

Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
So it appears my original Mercury 270 dinghy blew the diaphragms between the tube sections, so I have '1' tube to inflate per se now.  Not too happy about that and I do not think that can be fixed either..correct me if I am wrong!

So anyone using a RIB for a 342 or similar size?  I'm liking the hard bottom and the AB brand has AL bottom that is even lighter for the same size dinghy (8' 4").  How about different davit system?  If I go new I'm not keen on glue, the pads on mine are half peeled off already.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
PC BYC, Holland, MI

Comments

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    BD that's a bummer! I may have a solution for you as far as a new dingy. I have a west marine rib 310. Fits perfect on the step of my 320. I did move the weaver davits out of the chalks further apparent. The dighy is 100 lbs 10 feet long and extremely steady in the water and easy to lift!
  • Options
    The key to glue is to only do in doors with zero humidity not even rain outside. Apply alot of pressure the first hour and leave it set for 5 days before re-inflating.
  • Options
    LG: thanks for the pics! If I have to replace it would be nice to bump up a bit on size. Hopefully keep my little 3.3 motor, not fast but it is light.

Can you re-glue over glue (ref my pic)? I can do the gluing at home so the humidity will be as low as possible.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BD yes, you can. It looks like they used a type of rubber cement. If you can find out what they used when you reapply it the glue will reactivate itself.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    LG - did you glue the davit pads on yourself?  Looks like a nice job.  Did you go with PVC or hypalon material?

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BD I did the job myself. PVC. I will detail step by step for you this weekend while on LG in the rain. .. again memorial with rain!
  • Options
    Ps you can re glue but you'll need to start fresh. I will detail that for you too. It's is a tricky job at that point.
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PVC boats only have a finite life span before the glue fails just about everywhere. I gave up on WM pvc boats after 2 just fell apart dispite my repair attempts.

My last dinghy was an Achilles Hypalon boat that was 10' and awesome with our Johnson 8hp 2 stroke. Stable and quick. The OB was easy to manage and light compared to the newer 4stroke motors that are tanks.

The repairs are exactly as stated above, ZERO humidity and it's not really possible to do in your home because of the bad a$$ fumes. Really. I used an A/Cd storage room at work and people still complained.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Weaver davits has the glueing instructions on line. I recommend only using their glue kit. Its enough glue for three pads. I will outline in bullet format what I did.

1 tubes inflated. clean area with solvent.
    2 positioned pads and outlined with magic marker.
    3 use duct tape and applied along the outside lines. Two layers thick. Lightly sanded "scuffed" pvc. Duct tape protects pvc outside the lines while scuffing. At the West marine logo.... used a belt sander and gently took my time to ground down the edges so the pad would more evenly lay properly. Clean again with solvent.

@BD pull old pad off with heat gun. Dont get to hot. Tape around lines. Use a sander to sand the old glue down smooth. Some of the pvc should at least be showing again. Go slow and be gentle. Very time consuming. Solvent area clean. The old glue will not reactivate.

4 apply a layer of glue to pvc and pad. Every 10-15 min apply another thin layer. Repeat with three layers. Do this with the tube inflated.
    5 apply pads to pvc and press firmly. Pull tape as you apply pad to keep glue with in the lines. Continue pressing firmly for at least 5 min per pad.
    6 deflate the tubes to flat and use the end of hammer and pressure press using the heat gun to warm the pad. Not hot just warmer than you can touch. Work the hammer by pressing the edges of the pad very firmly to the pvc around the pads. This helps ensure water doesnt over time work back in between the pad and pvc and come loose down the road....
    7 use a little thinner to clean the edges up and remove any exposed magic marker. This gives a final professional appearance.
    8 walk away and do not touch or move the dinghy for a week. No humidity and keep warm and dry.
    9 now ready to mount to your boat and play!

LG
  • Options
    Notice closely in this picture how tight the pad molds from the pvc over on to the logo. Be sure that joining area is firmly pressed together! Leave no room for water to work its way in. Add a little extra glue at that junction if needed to seal tight. Heat gun comes in handy here to help mold.

Follow these steps and your pads won't come off anytime soon.
  • Options
    LG: thanks for the tip and pics. Your glue job looks great! I ordered the glue from Weaver and will give it a whirl! Good time to experiment on my mortally wounded dinghy. lol

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    You'll do great! That's how I figured it out before I bought new again.
  • Options

Well I sprung for a new dinghy today, went with an AB brand (hypalon tubes and AL bottom) RIB, will get the davits set up a week from Friday, probably have to get new attachments for the swim platform to have it balanced right.  I'll post pics once all complete.  Will be a nice improvement over my 270 Airdeck on capacity and a drier ride too I think.

Anyone interested in the 270 with its internal flaw (does not leak externally) I'm willing to part with it cheap.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BD, that sounds just like what I had and loved it. Hypalon tubes are tough and will last for years. Mine had a roll up aluminum interlocking floor that was really well designed and when stowed was about 80lbs all up. At 10'-4" ours was very stable with 4 people and would plane off easily with our 8hp 2stroke. It was really a fun ride with one or two people. I sold it after we moved away from our stickboat. Just too many toys.

Hanging it on the stern of a 342 or bigger would have been ideal. Good luck and have a great season. MnK
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    Thanks Tiki!  I moved up to the 310 (9'-6") and it is only 95#, basically the same as my 270 in weight but longer, wider and bigger tubes!  Staying with my pokey 3.3hp engine for now, the dinghy was $$ and the motor is not in the budget (of course neither was the dinghy!).  Plus that 3.3 fits in the transom nice and is light.  All these new 4 strokers are big and heavy and you really have to watch about what side you lay them on too or you can trash them.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    You'll be a happy cat with that Hypalon boat, especially for it's stability. I found my 8hp in mint condition on Craigslist for next to nothing. It was lighter than a 4hp 4 stroke, super simple mechanically and it'd really scamper.

Post some pics when you get it rigged.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod

BD, I'm with you!  28lbs for the 3.3hp.  I'd love to have a 9.9hp, but then I'd have to get the weaver davits including the one to keep the motor mounted on the dinghy.  I've still given it a lot of thought, since the kids would love to do the watersports behind it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options

So about to pull the trigger on the trick davit system for the dinghy www.trickdavit.com

Less drag laying flat and I can leave the motor on too.  Crossing my fingers it is easy to pull up in 1-2' Lake Michigan chop.  The new dinghy is just wide enough it is really a bugger to pull up with the Weaver davits and it bounces around too much for my comfort.

Anyone ever used the Trick Davit?  Fine crafted in the Michigan UP!  lol

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    OldDogNewTrixOldDogNewTrix Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭

Certainly less drag and bounce than the Weaver system but you lose the swim platform. Do you dock stern or bow in? 

Wayne '09 340 EC
  • Options

I bow in for docking. I can easily store the dinghy on its trailer at the marina. Not too worried about taking up platform space as I can drop it in the water at the beach, etc. the current Weaver set up with the standoffs takes up a lot of room too. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited July 2014

are you guys mounting the pads in the proper location?  My weaver system sets the dingy in such a way that I lose zero platform space.   The pads should go just above the dingy rub rail and just touching it.  This pushes the dingy out and away from the platform when up.  

• Options

Yup, the davits are set up correct on height, I should have moved the mounts wider than the indents on the platform. I bounces side to side too much now (longer/wider dinghy). If I go to the roll on I keep the motor on the dinghy and can upsize. I got an 8hp 2 stroke I can swing a great deal on. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

two options on the davits.  1) move them out further but that requires new pads. 2) buy the motor and purchase the weaver swivel bracket and hoist.  The hoist will help support the side to side motion if you block the motor fin to the platform while in the upright position.

LG

• Options

LG: I thought about that, but swinging up the dingy is already really difficult and takes 2 people if it is wavy on the water..adding another 60lb would make it almost impossible without additional equipment and more $$$. For less money I can do the roll on type davit.  What do you use on yours?

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

have pics some place on the forum.  I use a rope to pull the dinghy up.  The motor mounts on the weaver motor mount.  Easy and very clean. I took the davits out of the chalks and moved them further apart with my 10 ft hard bottom west marine inflatable.   Filled the old holes with 5200.