Options

Inter Coastal around St Augustine and South

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
This site, as far as I know, does not really get to detailed with boating in a particular area, does it? For example, we are planning a vacation on our boat for a week south of St. Augustiine, a little north of the Mantanza inlet for those that know the area which is north east Fl. coastline....I have not been in this area by boat. It looks kind of deserted between the inlet and St. Augustine....which is kind of what we like....pull over to a little island and hang out. Anyone know the area? Which brings me to some questions I had posed probably last year on anchoring in areas like this....my worst fears are number one, anchor coming lose and watching the boat drift away, two, anchoring and because of tide changing, watching the boat swing around and ending up on shore or just basically, finding a spot with some water and when the tide go out either end up with no water or no water around me to get the boat back out. I know experience is the key here and frankly, I got not much to work with and less in dealing with tides.  How about some words of wisdom for me? Is it safe to anchor out both ends of the boat to keep it from swinging with the tide or is that a no no anyway....

Comments

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    #1 #1 #1!!  Check your ground tackle for frays and loose anything. Use an anchor alarm. Overnight, I like a sandy bottom and at least 6-to-1 scope on the anchor line(more if there's room). Always power back down to set the anchor in the general direction you expect to lay overnight allowing room to safely swing 360* if the wind/tide change.

**Don't use an anchor off the stern unless you're backing up to the beach for the afternoon. If that's the case and you can leave some slack, set you bow anchor out 100' +/- then just ease back and set the stern anchor at the beach high/low waterline. Then let the boat drift back off the beach 10-20' and pull the boat back into the beach with the stern anchor line as needed.

**Don't anchor overnight in/near a channel that has a major current..... like Mantanzas has. Back up in behind the cove by the lighthouse or the state park should be far better. I prefer to pick my current free anchorage considering any expected wind overnight and any buggy shoreline that's too close to allow me a few 100' from a windward shore for a peaceful night.

**I always use Google earth satt images, chart programs and Active captain.com to research a few anchorage/marina choices before I leave. Read the local reviews of  each anchorage to see what to expect and find a quiet cove out of the main current.

**The current rips through the municipal marina at the Bridge of Lions in downtown. Docking and line use are challenging but old town is a lot of fun. Just assess the dock current and tie it off in every direction.

** If I remember right there was a really nice marina just N of the cut that was spoken highly of.

**Again, lots of shoaling and current in that area. Be cool.

Have fun. Be safe and post some pics of that new ride. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

A lot of info is available on www.activecaptain.com

Plus cruising guides available from West Marine, one of them a guide to anchorages.

Hope this helps.  Have fun.

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Active Captain posts to your email inbox almost daily if you set that up.  Here is something I just now learned from a recent email from them.

Official nautical charts label fixed aids in a
    normal typeface and floating aids with an italics typeface (a large
    percentage of boaters don't know this.)

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342
  • Options
    very cool guys, thanks for the input! We are staying at a place on the water, have not gotten comfortable enough to go on the hook yet, taking my time.......I will digest all this, it's about a month before I go. I have read a lot about Mantanza inlet and the history is pretty cool too.....lots and lots to learn!
  • Options

while searching the site, came back to a post I put up a while ago and with a few more months after that post, Mikes comments make a little more sense. After all, I have hit the down switch 2x on the windlass since then. Well, if you include the one time in my driveway.

So, did not go to this area but now planning a trip to Ponce Inlet/New Smyrna area and a popular sand bar at the jetty called disappearing island I have been there 3x but not with the 270.Its a little south of the above. I had a bow rider I could pull up on shore and watch for the tide albeit nervously. There is a point that goes towards to the jetty which shallow for way out and the north side is also shallow. If I anchor as Tiki states, if the tide changes while I am there, do I need to pull the stern anchor and let it swing or will the two anchors safely hold? I guess I need to watch the depths closely so I don't end up stuck as well...need a stick like you check fluid levels in tanks stuck in the ground so I can tell  what the tide is doing as it moves fast in this area....

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Ras, not knowing your area but knowing how to anchor with stern in tide areas, just know when you first anchor what the tide is.  Adjust your anchor appropriate to the tide.  So, if you are anchoring and the tide is high, you can pretty much have things taunt because it will loosen as tide goes out.  Opposite, of course, if tide is low when you arrive.  Just keep an eye on it thru each of the first set of tides.  Remember too that you can put your stern drives up to keep from touching bottom during low tides.  We tend to get in nice and close around here and put the drives up.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Currents rip through there. Come early to get a spot w/o fear of bouncing off your new neighbors. Nothing sets the tone for the day like a newish cptn who skids across a few boats trying to get anchored 6' away. You'll just have to watch the boat and lines throughout the day. It's your responsibility as the guy with the shoulder braids and funky hat.

Have fun, be safe and post some pics. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    Tiki- should the boat hold if the tide changes or do I need to plan on pulling the stern anchor and let the boat swing? I know there are other factors such as wind to consider but in general.........
  • Options
    Anchor overnight out of the current as much as possible and always lay overnight on just a bow anchor with an anchor alarm set for 500' if you have room to swing. Never set bow and stern overnight, they'll only foul each other and cause mayhem.

During the day I'll set the bow anchor with a casual 3 to 1 scope if it's calm but overnight I run it out to 5 or 6 to 1. That's always measured by figuring depth to submerged rode/chain, not from the bow roller. IE: 10' of depth equals 50-60' of rode and chain at the waters surface.  When in doubt.... Chapmans.

Be aware of prevailing wind expected overnight along with tide and wind/weather changes. The east coast almost always gets a strong easterly overnight (unless it blows nw from a cold front so try to pick your anchorage with peaceful windward protection in mind. On the other hand wind on the nose with a close leeward(at your stern) shoreline is asking for trouble.

If the wind pipes up be very aware of chaffing of the anchorline as this boat aggressively hunts back and forth, slowly sawing away at your rode. Ideally you'd tie a Y harness to the rode (again, Chapmans) and back to each p/s bow cleat but they're so close together on the 270 that it's almost ineffective in slowing the oscillation except to prevent chaffing.

It's always prudent to have a back up plan (IE; nearby marina/dock/ramp) if things/weather/illness crop up unexpectedly. Always keep a back up handheld vhf radio and spot light charged and readily available. Above all else stay in the boat and anticipate safety related problems. Don't do stupid stuff like eating/serving huge greasy meals that exacerbate seasickness or let anybody get blistering drunk. That just can't end well and endangers everybodys fun.  

Stern-to beach anchorage technique was spelled out in an earlier post above.

That outta be enough to get you started. Have fun n be safe. Mike

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike I agree with all of your insightful comments except the part where you measure to get your scope. All of the comment I have heard is that you measure from your bow roller to your anchor (regardless of what Chapmans may say) and if expecting big wind/waves or if you have the length of rode available it is best to set a 7:1 scope, overnight.  If the captain disregards the 5 or more feet from the bow roller to the surface of the water you will not have the same ratio of rode to depth - mathematically speaking and imo the ability of a boat to ride ourt adverse conditions/wakes etc is all about that very ratio. Respectfully offered. MT
  • Options
    It's all good MT. I think we're saying the same thing. More is definitely better. I have neon orange bands painted on my rode at 30' intervals (1 for 30', 2 for 60' etc.)and look for the right ratio when my marker is at the water level as I back down. If I stopped it at the bow roller it would be roughly 10' shorter than when I see/calculate  it at the water.

7:1 in 10' of water is 70' of submerged rode at the water but actually about 80' at the roller for me. 7:1 or 70' showing at the roller equals less rode and a less conservative safety margin. I'd bet we're laying out a similar ratio when all is said n done.

All that said, more is better but with limits when there is some etiquette to be considered in a tight anchorage like many on the east coast can be to allow for a full swing in tide or a wind shift that is similar to others in the anchorage.  We've been in popular anchorages when some yahoo rolls in and lays out 12:1 irregardless of how close he is to everyone else who typically lay out between 5 and 7 to 1. It's up to the captain to know his ground tackle limits but if 6 or 7-to-1 won't hold then it's probably time for a new and improved hook.

Mo' betta. Mike
  • Options
    Agreed Mike! Mark, I know my chain is 30 feet long and have marks on the rode every 10 feet. The Admiral counts them out. The Admiral is not happy with that plan and has purchased coloured markers and a "fid" to weave them into the rode. The rest is just math. Like Mike said, we'll put out 4:1 or 5:1 in a crowded day anchorage or 6:1 if its breezy and there's room to do so safely. I always put out 7:1 at night - no matter what. If I thought I needed more that 7:1 I'd probably consider going back to port.....and, like Mike said, I have seen guys who looked like they had 12:1 or 15:1 ratios which not only hogs an anchorage but is also IMO dangerous. :-) MT..... BTW we anchored off an island in the summer of 2013. As the spot filled-up one of the guys went on his VHF and told everyone new that was coming in that they were using 7:1 because of the current and some wakes that were rolling in. He also asked everyone who might be spending the night and who had drift alarms ro set them. That was appreciated by all.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Well, I guess maybe I'm one of them that put out too much then.  Except those times when I know there will be a ton of boats, like watching blue angels or fireworks.  You never know when a storm will come up and I like to know I'm staying put.  I will not anchor right next to someone knowing I'd swing into them.  I'm usually one that gets there early and sets it the way I see fit.  (sorry if that sounds bad, but I've seen too many boats drift take chunks out of other boats)  I guess I'm also in areas that most use the stern anchor, so it does not matter as much if you have more rhode out.  & now I use that prusik knot quite a bit!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I find more anjd more that people are going to a 7:1 ratio right from the bow roller even in calm conditions and am also seeing more Prusik knots and bridle arrangements. Even saw my first anchor weight this summer (it looked kind of clumsy - but the guy said he had never lost a mooring with it). I guess the stories of how much fun it is to replace a bent bow roller assembly on most boats have made the rounds. A guy who just bought a used 342 from my dealer was awakened this summer by other boaters shouting at him at about 3 a.m. Apparently he was about to collide with their boats. Scared the sh*t out of him. Soooo I'd say pay-out whatever rode you feel safe with. MT
  • Options
    thanks all....won't be staying overnight there, just the day and then head to the marina for the night....will build to staying out all night, wish I was west coast as the tides seem to be a little more easy to deal with but perhaps not...our inlets are few over here and the water moves fast if your in the area of one.....