Options

So how bad is it...

andy_fandy_f Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
edited May 2014 in Engine Discussions
Just got a pair of new props for the Bravo 3, found some "how to instructions" online that said to replace the props, put the throttle "forward" and loosen the first nut, putting it in gear will prevent it from rotating, then to remove the second prop nut, move the throttle aft which will prevent it from rotating the other way, except it didn't. So I won't have a chance to put muffs on it and test it until next week, just wondering if anyone has run into this before.

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a wood block between the prop blade and the ground.  You could do the same against the blade and the case.  Putting it in gear I would avoid to prevent rotation.  The torque on the nut(s) is not that high to worry about the prop against wood.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a block between the prop and housing. Simple and zero stress on the gearbox. There is some discussion about the timing of each prop in relation to the other that you should investigate.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options

I got the props off, but I am more concerned that putting in the drive in reverse didn't prevent the props from rotating.

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cone clutch does not like being backdriven and will slip.  Normal so no worries.

Read up on the prop timing when you re-install and make sure you use that funky blue grease on the splines when you reinstall. :)

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Here is a picture for bravo 111 prop timing. Paul
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    By the way torque on the large nut is 100 FT-pounds the small one 60FT- pounds
  • Options
    Awesome - thank you guys very much!