Marina that winterized my 2007 ec300

Hi new to the site and need to vent and ask anyone's opinion... just put the boat in the water, supposed to be a great day huh? Well not really starboard engine running real hot and not reading on the guage of being that hot. So anyway im in NY and we had a hella cold winter. Guy at the marina says they winterize and leave plugs out?? Is that right?? I would think after running antifreeze thru it youd want to put plugs back in so it would stay in?? NO?? 

Any help is appreciated I have twin 5.0 

Thanks

Comments

• andy_fandy_f Member Posts: 21 ✭✭

That's what I have always seen, run 'em on AntiFreeze, then pull the plugs. This is from Mercruiser's website: "

How do I winterize my MerCruiser product?

Because of variations in models, it is not possible to include this information for all of our products on this website. We recommend that you have this procedure completed by an authorized dealer. The raw water section of the cooling system must be COMPLETELY drained for winter storage, or immediately after cold weather use, if the possibility of freezing temperatures exists. As manual multi-point drain systems can have as few as three blue drain plugs and as many as seven, MerCruiser recommends referring to your Operation, Maintenance & Warranty manual or Service manual for the type of drain system you have. Draining of the seawater section of your engine does not mean it is winterized, MerCruiser requires that propylene glycol antifreeze be used in the seawater section to insure protection from freeze damage. Failure to do this may result in trapped water causing freeze and/or corrosion damage to the engine. Damage caused by freezing or improper winterization IS NOT covered by the MerCruiser limited warranty."

• SuddenComfortSuddenComfort Member Posts: 4
    so how do i know if marina did the job correctly or prove it? My word against theirs?
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the plugs were out and you ran the engine you'd be filled with water. If you paid them for the service that's your proof.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • andy_fandy_f Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    It might be worth taking to another mechanic, if there is an issue, that can be attributed to it not being winterized properly then you have a reciept to back you up. Otherwise could be something unrelated.
  • frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    If the port engine is ok so you could assume that the did winterized properly. Could be something else making that engine running hot.
  • rdk25rdk25 Member Posts: 9
     You might have a bad water pump ..
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^+1

Without that heavy fan clutch (as in a car) hanging on it, it would be hard to tell before it failed..
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or simple as the impellor or a thermostat too.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI