Options

Simpson Lawrence Horizon 600 Gypsy issue

CaptainDPCaptainDP Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
I have a Simpson Lawrence Horizon 600 windlass on my 2000 Rinker 340. I had trouble with my old rode at the chain connection. It was getting torn up and I attributed that to the age of the rode. I replaced it with a new Lewmar 3 strand with 1/4" G4 chain. We were anchored yesterday and it started slipping on retrieving the anchor and I had difficulty getting it to transition from rode to chain at the knot. I see some wear on the teeth of the gypsy and suspect that is my primary problem.

1. Is there agreement that worn gypsy teeth would be the problem, and
2. How difficult it is to replace the gypsy? I see it online for about $250 or so but I'm pretty much a mechanical dunce.

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    CaptainDPCaptainDP Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I'm pretty certain the chain is the correct size. The slippage is primarily on the rode; there is no slippage once it transitions to the chain.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I replaced my chain/rode and I'm having a heck of time with it.  The chain grabs fine, but the rope is not grabbing at all.  I got 1/4 chain with 1/2 rope.  The rope is nylon braided.  The old rope was 3 strand.  From what I can tell this is the right size combination.  

I had to loosen the gypsy to get the new rode loaded and I've tightened it up (perhaps not enough).  

Any thoughts on a solution?  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX