Options

Memorial Day

212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in Non-Boating Related

happy memorial day, gents (and the few ladies 'round these parts)... I hope it finds y'all well!!!

in regards to memorial day- special thank you to the families of:

GySgt Jeff Bohr USMC, Northern Baghdad, April 10 2003 'Battle of Baghdad'- enemy fire-Silver Star...

Todd Venette, CTU Consulting, Baghdad Iraq, May 7 2005, IED+enemy fire, take your pick...

there are many more, but these two were my brothers, and they passed fighting for (and securing) the safety of those in our merry band of brothers....

because of them and men like them, I can sit my **** on a beach and complain about the direction the country is taking, and still go home to a relatively safe and luxurious place where my family can sleep soundly.. I can't express the gratitude enough.  I am alive because of them.  My little girl exists because of them, to a degree, and I will never ever forget their sacrifice.  If this seems out of place here, so be it, but understand I take the opportunity of Memorial Day to express my gratitude openly- as it is only fair and just.

swiped from facebook:

"What I know to be true and universal is that warriors died wondering if they made any difference, and what else I know is their brothers are left behind unable to express those moments to people who don't understand... Another token: brothers in arms care more about each other than themselves, and they will carry the fallen in memory forever...

I ask y'all today, in a bi-partisan plea, ask combat veterans you know, this weekend in particular, about the fallen.. and, ask them to thank the fallen for you. you may get a **** look, but that's just bravado.. they will deeply appreciate it and will pass it to the fallen in their quiet conversations later.. <- fact.
"

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Awesome...............
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Amen. In Canada about 100 miles of our major east-west  highway is a stretch called "The Highway Of Heroes". It was even highlighted by Brian Williams of NBC on one of his news casts. Most Canadians think it was named to honor our fallen vets, which it was, BUT what most Canadians do nor know is that this particular stretch of the Trans Canada Highway is the route the fallen veterans travel from the staging area of returned Hercules air transports from abroad  to the military hospital that does the combat autoposies. When local citizens learn of these transports of the fallen troops to the military hospital for their final rest they line the bridges to salute and pull over at the side of the road to let the convoy pass with respect. .....and DA when the time comes that anyone on this forum has to apologize for thanking a vet then, in my opinion, I'm on the wrong forum. My salute to all veterans during this special time and their loved ones as well. Sacrifices well appreciated and honored. MT
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    On behalf on my fallen bothers in arms and their families I would like to say thanks for the kind words. You all have brought tears to my eyes. It is so appreciated to see people remembering their sacrifice and knowing it was not in vain. Thank you again and may god watch over all who are serving and bring them home safe.