Options

Strong Smell of gas

Obesesquirrel226Obesesquirrel226 Member Posts: 2
edited May 2014 in Engine Discussions
Has anyone else had a strong smell of gas on a 2007 Rinker 226

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    It is great that you noticed and hopefully didn't continue driving the boat.  I cannot add to what the issue is, but I can say I've had experience with the other side of what can happen with fuel/vapors. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to double down and find the source. Do not run the boat or turn on electronics...even cell phones near it.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Obesesquirrel226Obesesquirrel226 Member Posts: 2
    We found a hole in the tank and are getting it fixed thanks for the help
  • Options
    Wow!  That's very good you found this issue before things went any further!  If you can get any pictures of it, that may help someone else in future as well.

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    The previous owner of our '04 270 also experienced a fuel tank failure when the boat was 6-7y/o. Luckily it was during the off-season and the boat was on a yard rack with the drainplug out and an alert worker caught the leak before the inevitable happened. It was not a repairable failure and the tank had to be removed along with the engine/genset/part of the cabin. You can imagine how that went considering that the fuel tank is one of the 1st things installed when building the boat and everything is built around it.

As the story trickled down to me there was some history regarding an overly hasty factory install of some of the tanks in the hull too soon after layup or possibly proper support/shims creating pressure points causing abnormal wear. It was my understanding that after a few rounds of talks with the company they stepped up and actually participated (I'm not sure how much) in the removal and replacement cost. Kudos to Rinker considering how far out of warrantee the boat was. Our new replacement is an 88gal vs the original 100gal which is no big deal.

Glad you found the issue. Hope it's not as complicated as our previous owners problem and that it's rectified quickly. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Good luck with your repair. Hope it works out great for you. Tiki I have to disagree with you. Sorry bro but I would never go smaller on the fuel tank. I would try to go bigger. Less trips to the fuel dock. As I assume you all know the fuel dock can be a major PITA. Just my opinion......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I hear you Ray. You're right. I hate the fuel dock shuffle and co$$t. When I said no problem it's because I'm a trailer boat dawg that barely burns fuel, never fills at the dock and usually keeps the tank under 1/2 full anyway. To keep the weight down I usually put 20gals on at the local rec fuel station (knowing I'll probably only burn half of that) and launch where I'll be using the boat for the weekend. When I say 80 vs 100 gals is no problem it's just considering our smaller size and REALLY relaxed use. If I was based out of a marina, running twins or especially if I needed the range I'd definitely change my story on capacity.

In our former owners situation there might have been a logistical problem with getting an original sized tank squeezed past all the challenging issues of a tank replacement. Hey, have a great season. Hope your new drive is humming along. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    Thanks Mike I just brought the boat to my club. I will take it for a good run the next nice day that I am not working. Have a great summer bro....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options

Tiki, what you start with in your tank is what I consider empty! :))  I put 260 gallons in yesterday (out of a possible 300 total).  Finally got all my 'winter' fuel out.

Raybo, I guess we're in the same boat!  My new drive is purring along pretty good after three weekends on her now.

• Options
    Dream glad to hear everything is good. I am a little afraid that the other drive might go because its the same age. Maybe next year I will look at my finance's and replace that one also.....
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was once at a fuel dock waiting for a free fuel line. One of the boats being filled was about 60 ft or more long.  The attendant had this look on her face, like "when's this gonna be full???"

So I asked the owner how big the tank is.  He said he didn't know, he just gives them the credit card and signs. So I was like, well tell me how much you pay and I will work it out. He didn't know that either, lol.

So just then the attendant turns around and says 7000, it takes $7000 of gas.  That's a wopping 1400 gallons!!!!!!!  I turned to the owner and said, "Dude, you spend $7000 to fill your boat up, and you can't remember that??"

I would never forget that kind of a gas bill. Never.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    lmao, Something tells me he doesn't go by "dude" or "dude-a-reno" or "THE dude"......maybe Mr Lebowski but I'm sure he's cool.

Anybody who buys that much at a time doesn't need a marina fuel dock, he needs a refinery.

My measly 20 gals a weekend is more than what pours out of his tank vent when it tops off. :D
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When my business was cigars, I had a customer get a brand new free boat.. a Grady white, 28' long, twin yamis, and a trailer.. picked it up from our hometown at the time manufacturer in Greenville nc.. he negotiated with the bank.. I thought to myself "what kind of financial position does a person need to be in to dictate terms to a bank?"... Well.. he did.. he opened a five year maturing CD with them, which would close with them keeping the principle and interest for the 'purchase' from the earnings, and him getting the rest... How big a CD do you guys think that was?

Meanwhile, and much more recently.. I watched a dude with at least a 30' contender with four 350 yami 4strokes top off while trailered at a local gas station.. not even rec fuel, but the ethed up crap.. I stopped watching around $1100..
  • Options
    If you can afford the toy, fuel means nothing. My slipmate has a 70' yacht and can spend $7k easy a fill up. He calls it spending his kids inheritance. lol

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Heard the saying if you have to ask you can't afford it? Course we all want to know the answer lol
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BD, if I had a 70' yacht I wouldn't need gas.. I'd instead need a bunch of stainless tubing to use as fuel line, replacing the existing lines.. I'd need need a hotter coil (or two).. I'd need a place to mount my stihl aboard that thing and a relationship with a midwest corn grower..

Or better yet, twin cats, an oil fired heater under a holding tank, and a relationship with an owner of a local fast food chain..

I came from nothing.. $7k in the tank, even with seven figures in the bank if I had it, would give me pause.. ouch..
  • Options
    I think once you can spend multi-millions on a yacht, $7k is trivial. The same guy just bought a new Masarati too.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    RY is drooling on the twin cats idea!   =P~

PC BYC, Holland, MI