NMEA 2000

jaubryjaubry Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
I finally got the Raymarine e7 installed and the Vessel View set up the way I like. I hooked up the 2 units together using the NMEA 2000 connectors on the back of the 2 units. The issue is that I can't seem to find where in the menus of either unit To activate the the units to communicate together. Anyone know how these 2 can start to talk to each each other? Thanks

Comments

• frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Hi maybe that can help. How to get engine data to e125 MFD I70 Posted by Mickey Geller on September 12, 2012 at 8:50pm in Multifunction DisplaysView Discussions This is the first time that I have ever been on a forum so please be patience with me. I have been working with my friend who just purchased a brand new Formula boat with this list of electronics: SmartCraft VesselView for the 2 MercCruiser engines, Raymarine e125 MFD, I70 Instrument Display and the Axiux Autopilot. We are trying to figure out how to get the engines data from the SmartCraft to show also show up on the e125 & I70 displays. I contacted MercMarine and they told me that it should be real easy to hook it up to the NEMA 2000 and that should do it. They sent me an instruction sheet that shows a NEMA 2000 Gateway Assembly. The papers show 3 different Gateway Assemblies, a Single engine Gateway, Multi engine Gateway and a Helm Gateway (Axius and Zeus installations). The MercMarine rep said that it has never been tried so no guarantee that it will work but should. THe Helm Gateway is so new that it is not out yet and not priced. They think it will be out in a few weeks and might be around $400. He said that I will also need the Multi engine Gateway which cost $433. I had a Certified Marine Electronics tech at the boat and he thinks that we just need the Helm Gateway and that he would have to cut and weld the cables as they are different connectors. I would like to send you the assembly instructions to see what you think. As the Merc rep could not guarantee that it will work, it would be very expensive to try it and find out it did not work. Do you have any ideas. Please tell me how to email you the instructions, Mickey Like ShareTwitter Views: 792 Attachments: 8M0065208 NEMA 2000 Gateway instructions.pdf, 521 KB IMG_0248.JPG, 2.2 MB ▶ Reply to This Replies to This Discussion Permalink Reply by Moderator - Raymarine, US on September 13, 2012 at 9:18am Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Jim, When operating with the latest software updates, the new a/c/e-series MFDs (a65, a67, c95, c97, c125, c127, e7, e7D, e95, e97, e125, e127, e165) MFDs are NMEA 2000 certified. These products are compatible with NMEA 2000 engines, and some NMEA 2000 sensors (ex. fuel flow sensors). Raymarine does not maintain lists of NMEA 2000 engine makes/models as this information is continuously changing and outside of the control of Raymarine. As such, it is recommended that one contact the engine manufacturer with the engine information (model, serial number, etc.) to determine whether the engine(s) features NMEA 2000 support. When interfacing Raymarine equipment to a NMEA 2000 engine(s), the Raymarine equipment must not be interfaced directly to the engine manufacturer’s network backbone. Instead, the engine manufacturer's network backbone must be interfaced to the engine manufacturer’s NMEA 2000 gateway (ex. Mercury MercMonitor, Volvo engine gateway, Yamaha engine gateway, etc.), should one be available. To interface the engine(s), a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng network backbone must be installed onboard having SeaTalkng T-Pieces (SeaTalkng 5-way connectors may be substituted where NMEA 2000 devices are closely located) for each NMEA 2000 device (i.e. engines, sensors, data master MFD, etc.) which will be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng Network backbone. new a/c/e-Series MFDs may be interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone T using an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable ((400mm (A06038), 1m (A06039), 3m (A06040), 5m (A06041)). Raymarine offers SeaTalkng to DeviceNet Male (A06046) and SeaTalkng to DeviceNet Female adapter cables (A06045) as well as Stripped End Spur cables (A06044) to support interfacing third party NMEA 2000 devices as spurs to the SeaTalkng network backbone. From a minimalist standpoint, a backbone may be constructed from a SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector, a pair of SeaTalkng Termination Plugs, SeaTalkng Power Cable, and a pair of SeaTalkng Spur Cables to interface a pair of devices to the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector. From a configuration setting standpoint, the operator will need to configure the MFD with the number of engines. Support is presently limited to 3 engines. The following engine data items are be supported when interfaced to a NMEA 2000 device supplying the corresponding data. Support is presently limited to 3 engines.: RPM Boost Pressure Alternator Oil Pressure Coolant Temperature Coolant Pressure Engine Load Engine Hours Engine Tilt Fuel Tank Level 1 Fuel Tank Level 2 Fuel Tank Level 3 Total Fuel Remaining Total Fuel Flow (ex. gal/hr) Fresh Water (%) Gray Water (%) Black Water (%) Live Well (%) Trim Tabs
  • oceansouloceansoul Member Posts: 2
    To get the engine data from engine to your chartplotter check this NMEA 2000 gateway
    http://www.yachtd.com/products/engine_gateway.html

• WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    @jaubry

Lets start with the basics.   

Did you just connect the 2 devices together via nmea2000?    If so this will not work this way.  Nmea2000 requires a backbone and power supply.  This is very simple but we need to understand is there a backbone cable in place with a power connection.  Otherwise the NMEA2000 system is not powered up.
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props