Options

Looking at a 1999 Captiva 232 - new to Rinker, need opinions and info

nglauernglauer Member Posts: 7
Hello.. I'm a first time poster and have a few questions...

I am going to go look at a 1999 Captiva 232 CC this week. It is supposedly a 1 owner ( the current owner bought it from a friend with health issues that needed the money.. and he doesn't boat), It is supposedly an extremely low hour boat that was garage kept. I haven't seen it beyond pictures but by the looks of those it could almost pass as a new boat.

The guy told me it has factory snap on covers, storage cover, bimini top, camper top.. although I haven't seen pictures of those beyond the mooring covers. It also includes the "never used" filler cushions for the cuddy and rear u-shaped seating. It also has a portable table and he thought it has some type of grill or cook top thing. He really didn't know much about it. He said he only bought it to help a friend.

He said it would nclude all the safety equipment, vests, tube, and other watersports stuff (not completely sure.. but we probably won't use any of them anyways).

Boat has the 5.7L with either an Alpha One or Bravo? He wasn't sure when I asked for a description. 

What would this boat be worth? How much do they weigh? Any things to watch for on this model?

Thanks,
Nick

Comments

• Options
    mheitman23mheitman23 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    I just purchased a 2001 232 cc last September so im still learning the boat...mine also has the 5.7 efi and what I can tell you it has been a very nice riding and performing boat.   We have enjoyed it a lot.  I believe the dry weight is around 4100 lbs.  What is he asking for the boat?  Mine came with all the tops/camper package and was in really good shape and I paid 17,200 for it...hope this helped some...ask any other questions I will try and answer
  • Options
    mheitman23 - He dropped it down to $10,000 and he believes it has the camper top. He said there was some other type of cover looking thing along with what he referred to as an awning (which I assume is a bimini). The boat does look nice per the pictures - and the guy seems honest. I'm not sure which 5.7 this has, but I believe it say's 260hp on it. No clue if it's EFI or carbed. The cover looks like a fairly standard rectangular thing that covers the air filter. 

The trailer looks like new as well. I wish it has the captains call style exhaust and dock lights, but it does not appear to have those as options. 

Have you noticed anything with your boat? I have a 4x4 GMC Canyon Crew Cab - if it's at 4100 I think I should be fine towing and stopping. I wasn't sure how heavy they boats really were. I'll never have full tanks of gas, I live to close to the boat ramp and pumps to worry about dumping a bunch of fuel in her for trips. 

Thanks again! I'm looking forward to viewing this boat.

Nick in SE Ohio
  • Options
    Here are a few pictures... I had a Mariah previously and really wanted to stay with a Mariah.. but this Rinker is soooo tempting. I love the layout alot. The price seems very fair as well.

I look forward to the replies! 

Thanks again!

Nick
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    I just sold a 1998 232cc in April and I got $9500 for it. The one you are looking at was equiped just about the same as mine. It more than likely has a Alpha Gen2 drive on it with a carb 5.7 engine. There was never an hour meter on my boat and I doubt that there is one on this one. I have heard that a scan unit can get the hours, but I am not sure if that is true. I believe it depends on the unit and if it has the attachments for a Thunderbolt V ignition system. I loved the boat when I had it and I was sad to see her go. I ran mine for 13 seasons (I was the second owner). Two footitis got to me and I moved up to a cruiser. If not, I would be happy with the 232. The stove thing is a joke. I never used it. It was more for tax purposes... I believe that if a boat has a place to sleep, a sink, a toilet and a cook top you can write it off on your taxes. That is the only reason for it.

For the first 3 seasons, I towed mine with a Ford Ranger 4.0 V-6 4x4. You knew that it was back there. Make sure the brakes are in good shape. Mine had drums all around and I made sure they were serviced every few years. The boat with fuel (75 gallon tank), gear, water, beer is closer to 5000. The trailer, if it is a Trailmaster is about 1000lbs. If you are close to the ramp, then you should be fine.

It looks like it is in great shape. It is a solid work horse of a boat.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Your truck should pull it just fine if your not going that far...I have a Silverado and cant really tell its back there.  If its as nice as it looks in the picture I would say that is a pretty good buy especially if it has the camper package...if you ever looked at getting one its about 4k. 
  • Options
    I'm not certain that it has the camper top.. I hope it does... it must have some type of additional cover wrapped up and stored on board though because the owner claims it has a "awning" *guessing he means bimini), snap on cover and some other type of top stored inside.  The gentleman that has it doesn't know anything about it, so it's been tough asking questions over the phone. 

Any idea where I could find a 1999 brochure or information on the 99 232? I'm just curious what all options were available that year. 

I REALLY wish it had the silent choice exhaust... I'm stuck choosing between this boat and a slightly older Mariah Davanti 215 (which is loaded with options). The rinker just looks more family/kid friendly with the seating. 

Here are a few more pictures of it... I included a few of the engine compartment and engine (engine looks clean.. but the compartment looks dirty for some reason). Perhaps someone can tell me which model motor this is (i'm assuming carb'd and the base model motor for this boat). Any idea what I might cruise at for top speed with two small kids and my wife.. and little gear?

Thanks again for the help! looking forward to the reply.

Nick 
  • Options
    That looks like the 350 carbed engine which is 250 hp I believe.  Your probably looking at mid 40's for top speed depending on what prop is on it.  The engine compartment looks pretty dirty, not sure what that would be from..it kind of looks like it sat for a long period of time. 
  • Options
    That engine is the 5.7L, which is 250HP. The base for that boat is the 5.0L, which really is underpowered for that boat. I stored my camper top on the port side of the boat between the seat back and the outside of the boat. The stock camper top was a white Taylor Made top that was really short. I couldn't walk under it, but it was good if you got caught in bad weather. The bimini part of the top would be stored in front of the engine connected to the straps that are hanging there. With a clean bottom and a 19p prop, I would hit 45ish, non-GPS on my old one. I do agree with mh that the engine compartment is dirty. If you disconnect the hoses to the fresh water tank and remove the storage tub, you can get in there with a short handle brush and clean it out. It is a gelcoated and will look like new when cleaned. Other than engine options and drive options, there weren't too many others. The camper top, filler cushions and silent choice were about it. I looked into silent choice and it is about 2K for the stock Corsa unit that came on the boat. I believe that was dealer cost with no markup. It can be added and the exhaust comes out the sides of the boat. It sounds very cool with it, but the admiral might not like it after the first 5 minutes. I changed my exhaust bellows to the "cheater" tube to give it a throatier sound when up on plane. I used to have the '98 brochure. If I can find it out, I will post the options from that year for you. I am attaching a few pics so you can see what the camper top should look like on her. The blue in the bottom of the one picture is where the bimini top is stored. I was able to purchase a higher bimini from iBoats.com. Two of the pics show how clean you can get the engine compartment. Keep in mind, these were the pics I was using to sell my boat. Also, I had changed the decals to the 2007 version to give the boat an updated look.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Very nice pictures..... Awesome boat....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    edited June 2014
     I changed my exhaust bellows to the "cheater" tube to give it a throatier sound when up on plane. I used to have the '98 brochure. If I can find it out, I will post the options from that year for you. 
    That is a sharp boat! What do you mean by "cheater" tube? I've only owned one other boat.. and it was a 3.0L... so it obviously didn't have any type of throaty sound lol. It sounded more like a honda being drowned. 

If you have the 98 brochure i'd love to see it.. I imagine the 99's were probably about the same if not exactly. My email is nglauer@gmail.com if it's easier to email me.

I'm not sure why the engine compartment is so dirty... it was supposedly kept in a garage, but it looks like mildew to me. I did get a little more back story on the boat today. The guy selling it is kind of the 3rd owner.. kinda. The story is kinda crazy, but makes sense after talking to the people the current owner got it from (just happens I found an older craigslist ad for this boat.. from the 2nd owners lol). The woman (2nd owner) told me when I called her today that her husband bought it off a family friend whose parents passed away suddenly. The friend supposedly received the boat as part of the settlement from the estate. However, He couldn't afford to keep it and sold it to the (2nd owner). They had the boat for roughly a month and the husband only took it out on the water once. The wife didn't want the boat and wasn't okay with her husband buying it.. plus they didn't own a truck to tow it with!...thus he sold it to his friend (guy currently selling it). This gentleman is older and bought it off of them as more of a favor to my understanding. However, they had never owned a boat and it was to much for him to handle, as he had lost the use of one of his arms in a farming accident (per the 2nd owner I spoke to today), I was also told his wife had zero interest in boating... so he now has it for sale. 

Soooooo... if that is all completely believable I will be crawling down the rabbit hole this evening or tomorrow to go view it lol. I'm just waiting on the bank to call me. 

Thanks,
    Nick
  • Options
    Here is the cheater tube.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005XD00WM/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004S6RGZY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0AQT846MGRKFDJ5P9XVE

I will look for the brochure. I know I have it somewhere, but I have moved twice. I just need to locate it.

That is one interesting story...
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Take it for a ride and maybe have a mechanic come with and look at it...sounds like the boat has never really had anyone take care of it or want to
  • Options
    ladycaptivaladycaptiva Member Posts: 7

I bought the 98 version of this boat last year and have had my first year with it this summer.  I love it.  Strangely, also my engine area was also very dirty but does clean up pretty easily.  Unfortunately the guy had lost the engine top and had someone make a makeshift version which will have to be replace.   My issue with the boat is the ladder to the top side.  It had broken off before and apparently been fixed, now it broke off on me already (weld break on swing mech) and after re-welding now will not swing through door area to set.  I got a great deal on the boat that was a 1 owner and barely used with all mechanical records, so I am holding on to it.  Good luck.  I will watch your posts to see it develop.  Of course, I'm a girl but I think it already sounds pretty cool, not as loud as my brother's cigarette but fine for me..lol.