Options

Having hard time getting 2002 fiesta vee 250 to get up on plane. Help please

razor1rrazor1r Member Posts: 6
edited June 2014 in Engine Discussions
Can not get boat to plane out, Wouldn't get over 2800 rpm

Answers

• Options
    love2cruiselove2cruise Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Have you check if there's a rope got caught in the propeller?
  • Options
    Yes it's clear.
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Hummm. How about a new distributor cap and rotor?
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Are you fuel injected? (The engine)

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does your hull have any growth on it? When was the last time your fuel filter was changed?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Yes it's fuel injected. Havnt checked dist cap or rotor. Gonna check fuel filter. Boat stays on a lift when not running it so bottom is clean. Just bought it only had it out 4 times so trying to learn it and make sure not operator error. Thank you all for you suggestions.
  • Options
    BruceBruce Member Posts: 167 ✭✭
    If you have the outdrive trimmed all the way down and the the trim tabs down as well, are not over loaded and are using full throttle, it's not operator error. 
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just bought it?

you're not WAY over propped are you?

can you rev through the entire range not under load? (as in neutral)
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts too: way over propped or overloaded.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    ...rope in the prop. LOL   ...or was that serious....

Welcome razor and congrats.

All good tips above.

You may not get over 2800rpm until it starts to plane and you can't get there if the boat isn't running right (IE: old gas, distributor, prop size wrong.....rope on prop, anchor down :D ). A lack of rpm may also be a protection feature of the engine computer if you are running hot or have some other internal issue.

Assuming it's none of the above it could easily be that the drive isn't fully down and your trim tabs aren't either (as was said). Both help lift the rear of the boat so it can start to plane off. lastly (but not least) if your crew is all hanging out in the back of the boat waiting for the speed action to start and are "larger sized" folks you may have to redistribute some "movable ballast" to the front/mid section of the boat. It'll help balance the load on an invisible pivot spot somewhere between the bow and stern. Giant coolers and tons of baggage in the stern has the same effect. Keep it forward to help get over the hump and up on plane.

Imagine a water skier who only stood on the tail of the ski or a surfer who never balanced in the middle. Your boat may need the same push over that balance point. Of course your boat starts with a ton of weight stuck in the stern with the enginge/outdrive/fuel/water/waste tanks that has to be forced over the pivot until it breaks free and can plane off. If I have a full house I'm not shy about asking my guests to sit forward until I get up to speed. Just sayin'.

Once you get it up on plane you should see your rpm increase to about 3700-4000rpm for cruising speed. Trim up the drive just a bit, pull up the trim tabs, move your crew until the boat feels balanced and it should be everything it can be.

Good luck and have a safe summer. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it was just bought, I could see someone just bolting a prop up to it right or wrong.. especially if someone wanted that prop..

02 250... Were they alpha or bravo? That 5.7 ought to push to plane w/o much effort, no?

I'd start by firing her up, pushing the button that's not plainly a button in the center of your throttle/shifter arm, and revving the engine.. I'd be listening/feeling for rough spots in response and/or knocking/vibrating... I'd also hold a steady engine speed for a minute or so around 1200rpm, which is the point you're entering a decent duty cycle to volume ratio with the injectors, and feel for the same misfires or vibrations.. this will indicate health of the fuel systems.. if you hold that steady engine speed in neutral and don't have any weird bumps burps vibrations or obvious misfiring happening, pop the throttle a few hundred rpms north, and back down, up and back down, up and back down.. if it revs instantly and uniformly, your fuel is delivering unhampered..

This is a good test that will show latency if any.. latency will be demonstrative of clogged or clogging filters, weak pump, or obstruction.. remember, an obstruction can also be a simple venting issue, so, check your tank vent(s) for lack of.. finally, after this test checks out, drop the hammer on that thing and return to idle as fast as you can actuate the throttle.. it should rev high and fast w/o load, and return to idle within a second, and not cough at idle at all.. coughing indicates dirty induction path and/or weak valve springs..

If all this checks out, the next thing I'd look for is a vacuum leak.. there aren't many places a vac leak can happen in comparison to a car, which is a dang good thing, no?

Figure out what prop and drive you have.. I'm interested to see what prop that thing pushes, through what drive, and the gear ratio..
  • Options
    Thanks for all the response. Headed to lake now to check a few things. Hopefully get it worked out. Will check in later. Thank you all again.
  • Options
    brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    I've had bad gas cause that issue
    1994 300fv "General Madness"