Options

Annapolis area surveyor

BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to the mid-Atlantic crew for help locating a good surveyor in the Annapolis area. I've lined up a boat that's in Deale. Price agreed on, contract signed. Please let me know who's good in that area. I’d like to do a full survey and sea trial. Someone with experience in repair costs would be helpful too. This boat had the bow rail damaged (which damaged the fiberglass where it attached to) and the 'fix' was not so permanent.

I am jumping for joy at the prospect of being back on the water by THIS WEEKEND!! OH. MY. GOSH.

Comments

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd dig deep into the history of any boat after the damage Sandy did up there. After Katrina there was an endless supply of "good deals" that were re-furbs all around the gulf coast. You're doing the right thing digging into every corner looking for tell tale signs of damage/wear/leaks/band aids.

That said, I'll look forward to giving it the once over in July when I get to DC. Did you end up with a 270 and Mercruiser? New boats are exciting and I know you're looking forward to it. Good luck. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I used Randy Renn a few months back. He went through the boat that I purchased from top to bottom. He also took time to point things out to me and quirky things to look for. His number is 410-490-two nine zero nine. I was originally going to use Karen Alt, but when the sea trial date changed, she was unavailable.

Good luck!!!
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    BoatUS maintains a list of accredited surveyors ... http://www.boatus.com/insurance/survey.asp

You might have to make a few calls to find somebody who is available on short notice, so start calling ASAP.
  • Options
    ithacarinkithacarink Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    I used a guy a couple years ago, Lon Acheson http://www.survtech.us. He was very good, responsive and patient with a newby like me. Reasonable rates too. Also bought my 270 out of Deal MD.
  • Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

thanks for the tips guys. I'm having a tought time with schedules (no surprise). I might have to do it myself.

Tiki, not spoiling the fun until it's in my slip...

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod

BoatAway, if it's a 310 Rinker, I might be able to slip away for a bit...I work for pretty cheap (a case or two of those Mango-Ritas may work).  Of course at my rate, I won't sign anything. ;)   When you say in Deale, I'm guessing a good chance it's in NHH?

The guy I gave you in the email is really good, but I'm sure busy.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    BoatruptBoatrupt Member Posts: 6 ✭✭

I've also used Randy Renn and found him very thorough (in fact, the marina who was selling me my Rinker said "they hate that guy..." which was good enough for me.

Also, as you likely know, Sandy was somewhat of a non-factor in the Annapolis area.

• Options
    explore7425explore7425 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    Do a compression test! I have watched 3 guys on the dock get stuck with bad heads in their first year. I bought a 342 with only 15 cylinders myself. It's only about a hundred bucks. Do it.

Bella Sabrina II  370EC