Options

Transom Door Latch

BruceBruce Member Posts: 167 ✭✭
I made the tragic mistake of raising the engine hatch this weekend with the transom door closed and latched , (the self inflicted wounds always seem to hurt the worse).  My wife likes to keep the door shut so our little dog doesn't go for an unexpected swim, so I need to replace the latch. Does anyone know the best place to purchase a new latch? 
  Thanks in advance,
 Bruce
2004 250 FV 

Comments

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Home depot. Wooden dowel with a little paint and a SS screw/pin for the inevitable next time  #-o

I keep my door closed most of the time and still (mostly) catch myself when lifting the hatch. I'm on my 3rd one but it's far less painful now. :D

There are chrome/SS replacements available and someone will chime in with a link..... because you are not alone in making this error and we feel your pain.
    Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Tiki that's a great idea, and I don't feel quite as bad now, knowing I'm not the only one that has done this.
     Thanks for the advice.
      Bruce
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Yep I have had two marinas do it to me now.  I of course did it once as well.
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    This happens to people so often, that I was going to install my own micro-switch for a cutoff.  I did it once, and replaced it with the chrome barrel bolt (Attwood I think) but I think the dowel is the best idea, for one of these days, the bolt isn't going to be the thing to break.  
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bruce! You've just graduated to "Weathered Captain"

We have all done that one. LOL. Mine was last year, actually by my mechanic.

Tiki has a great idea.

My mech replaced mine with the original, I think from ATCO.  You should find the part pretty easy at a West Marine.  You might have to wait a few days to get it.

Tiki's solution can be implemented in the next 30 minutes, assuming you have a hardware store nearby!

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It won't bend the hinge too......if you EVER happen to forget again.

And lastly, after you make the first one, the next 7 or 8 are free from the leftover dowel so you can share or keep a spare to quickly change out and not mention it to your wife who is already wondering about your seamanship skills.......(don't ask how I know) :D
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the micro / prox switch idea.

Been there, done that with that lock too. Right of passage I think. lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Knock on wood, haven't done it yet. Do have a small sign from a labeller above hatch switch that reads DOOR. Worked so far. Cr*p, bet I've jinxed myself now! MT

• Options
    RY: sure about that? No such thing on mine, maybe your CE boat had to have it.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thanks to all for the advice and support, and Tiki, the wife already wondered about my "seamanship" I think this just confirmed her suspicions, lol.  (haven't bent the fender baskets yet though, yet) .
     I do think I'll go with the wooden dowel idea, I'm with Gslpro, I worry that the next time I may break more than just the bolt.  Ry I sure wish they would of installed a safety switch on the latch but there is no such thing on mine, but I really like Mt's idea of putting a reminder label next to the hatch switch.
      Thanks again, Bruce
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I broke the bolt on a friends 270EC. We were going down river and I thought that I would mess with them by raising the seat. I felt like an a$$ for doing it after the bolt broke. I promptly replaced it with a new barrel bolt. Now that I have a 280EC, I started to lift the hatch about a week ago when I turned around and saw the door was shut. I had stepped over the door when boarding the boat so I forgot that it was closed. Fortunately I caught it in time. A micro switch would be a great idea.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options

I have seen plastic screws in the past. I wonder it they are still available. I'm going to have a look. I have seen them used to attach printed circuit boards to various computer or hvac applications to avoid transferring electrical and static electrial charges. I bet they'd be fine. The ones I saw where white material. MT

• Options
    Thanks RY. I bet the nylon screws would just shear-off and could be drilled-out in a few seconds and replaced. MT
  • Options
    A switch to block the actuator unless the door is in the correct position would be the best solution, there are a lot of way to do this with a prox switch, magnetic contact, or a hinge switch, all low voltage and commercially available.  I keep looking at the hinge switch, see attached: IP-67 rated too! (IP-67 gets you dust proof and water proof to ~1m depth - you're screwed at that point anyways lol)

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Nice work BD! Well, guys we have a ton of options now! It will be interesting to see who does what. Remember post pics! :-) MT
  • Options
    Well I wound up going back with factory style barrel bolt, from Boat Outfitters for $22.46  http://www.boatoutfitters.com/chrome-plated-barrel-bolt
    I just going to try to very careful in the future when I raise the hatch.
     Thanks to everyone for the advice.
      Bruce
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    Bruce, use a labeller to make a stick-on label that you can put above the switch for your engine hatch. My wife purchased "fancy" labels for her labeller that look great. As soon as I look at the hatch switch there it is a small sign above the switch that reads "Door". . MT
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    For those really inclined to prevent this, you could put in a secondary push button switch right above it, forcing you to press both to lift the hatch, as well as remind you to check the door.

Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    Thanks guys, those are both great ideas, I will start with a label and see if I'm smart enough the read it! Lol.
    2004 250 FV